Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-28-2008, 09:44 AM   #1

Share |

Finished Basement Flooded Few Q's

Both regular and back-up sump failed yesterday. Got enough seepage that the carpet/padding was soaked.

I removed all carpeting and padding and have a industrial blower, dehumidifier and heaters running. My main concern at this point is the drywall and insulation. There is no signs of water on baseboard or drywall other than feeling slightly damp. There's a vapor barrier between the basement wall and insulation.

I removed 1 baseboard and the wall is slightly damp from floor to about 3 inches up. I was going to drill 1" holes every 12 inches and check the insulation. If it's slightly damp, hit it hard with more blowers and heat to dry it out. If it's soaked, cut the drywall about a foot up all around the room and remove the insulation, let it dry, replace insulation and drywall.

I this prudent, do I need to take additional steps? I don't want to create work, but I don't want a mold issue this summer. Im in chicago area, so at the moment it's cold. Most the basement looks pretty dried out aready. Do I bite the bullet and cut the drywall, or drill and make sure it's not soaked and try to dry it out?

Thanks for the help.

Weekendwarrior42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:56 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekendwarrior42 View Post
Both regular and back-up sump failed yesterday. Got enough seepage that the carpet/padding was soaked.

I removed all carpeting and padding and have a industrial blower, dehumidifier and heaters running. My main concern at this point is the drywall and insulation. There is no signs of water on baseboard or drywall other than feeling slightly damp. There's a vapor barrier between the basement wall and insulation.

I removed 1 baseboard and the wall is slightly damp from floor to about 3 inches up. I was going to drill 1" holes every 12 inches and check the insulation. If it's slightly damp, hit it hard with more blowers and heat to dry it out. If it's soaked, cut the drywall about a foot up all around the room and remove the insulation, let it dry, replace insulation and drywall.

I this prudent, do I need to take additional steps? I don't want to create work, but I don't want a mold issue this summer. Im in chicago area, so at the moment it's cold. Most the basement looks pretty dried out aready. Do I bite the bullet and cut the drywall, or drill and make sure it's not soaked and try to dry it out?

Thanks for the help.
call your insurance man ,after taking photos first.

butlersprints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 08:05 AM   #3
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Unless you can get the drywall dried out within 72 hours, it should be replaced. It should be cut 1 foot above the line where it got wet. Agreed, the first step should be to call your insurance company.
Maintenance 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:40 PM   #4
Drywall contractor

If the amount of water was minimal and not standing for a long time, you may be ok. Drywall will"wick" moisture as long as it's standing in it. Discoloring may take a couple of days and mold even longer to show up. If you're going replace and do the drywall work yourself, go ahead and remove the whole bottom sheet of drywall and replace it (assuming it's laid down, not stood up). That way you have your tapered edges to finish instead of a "butt" joint (and at a more comfortable working height). A few more dollars for material, but a lot easier labor-wise. Especially if you're not an experienced finisher.....