Finish Coat Over Painted Walls - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-30-2006, 04:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Send a message via Yahoo to a_theater_god
Smile

finish coat over painted walls

Ok. Here's the deal. I'm redoing the walls in my living room. They're not in terrible shape, but there are lots of little sins. Mostly lots of bad little patch jobs. What I want to do is just retexture the walls to try to unify them. Of course the walls are painted. What i was thinking of doing is giving them a good sanding. Just enough to rough up the surface. Not trying to totally remove the paint. Then i was thinking of painting a layer of primer, like Kilz over the top. Do you think that would be a good surface to then come back with a texture coat of compound? Maybe with a roller or sponge? Let me know if I've just lost my mind. Thanks.

Advertisement

a_theater_god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 07:32 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

You can coat over paint. The only issue is that it takes more time to dry because of the paint not allowing the compound to saturate into the wallboard.
Again, YOU CAN compound over the paint. Painters spackle over paint all the time. We have been coating over paint for 20+ years with ZERO issues, other than drying time.

About 6 years ago, our company got called in to 're-do' / go-over...an entire house, that looked as if it were never finished coated, before the original paint was put on. Coated over all the painted walls, re-coated again, .....sanded, etc...
& it came out great.

Advertisement

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 07-30-2006 at 07:35 PM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 11:27 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10
Send a message via Yahoo to a_theater_god

Hey. Thanks for the advice. It was just one of those questions that's just not covered in any of the home improvement books that I've read. And of course being new to all this, I was trying to err on the side of caution. You saved me alot of work. Thanks again.
a_theater_god is offline   Reply With Quote