Final Inspections - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-23-2009, 08:16 PM   #1
dIYHell

Rewards Points: 150

Final inspections

Im sure Final inspections are different from state to state , city to city but Im curious what happens if you can't get final inspections for sometime. I am doing a big remodelling project and my funds have run out, I have enough money to get the house sealed up and drywall up but might not have flooring,trim and alot of fixes necessary to pass final. Can a building department prevent me from living in the house, can they fine me?

Advertisement

rocketdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:21 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Final inspections

Until you receive an occupancy permit your are not allowed to occupy the premises. They could fine you, attempt to have you removed
Contact them & see what they say
Explain the issues & timeline to complete the work

Advertisement

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:22 PM   #3
Remodeling Contractor

Final inspections

No, you can ask for an extension to your permit.
And after that file for a new permit. That is all. CO is only needed for selling the house.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:25 PM   #4

Final inspections

That's not what it states on my building permit for an addition
Old 03-23-2009, 10:33 PM   #5
Remodeling Contractor

Final inspections

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
That's not what it states on my building permit for an addition
In MA maybe they would kick you out. I had an open permit on a new septic that I did not need to finish since the addition was not done for 3 years now. In any case you can extend or get a new permit. They just do not really kick you out of your house unless it is a city and is deemed unsafe.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:49 PM   #6

Final inspections

Possibly you can move in while work continues:

Quote:
What is an occupancy permit?

Occupancy permits are documents that signify that a building surveyor is satisfied and has approved your building as being suitable for occupation. The Building Act 1993 requires the issue of an occupancy permit prior to occupation of a new building.
An occupancy permit is not a statement that all the building work is necessarily complete. Nor is it a certificate that states that all building work complies with the relevant legislation or contract. An occupancy permit is issued when your building is "suitable to occupy" from a health and safety point of view.
An occupancy permit will only be issued to you when items affecting health and safety are in place and capable of being operational. These include things such as the water supply, sanitary and cooking facilities, smoke alarms, safety glass, handrails and balustrades. It does not mean that all the painting is done or that the carpet is laid, for example.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:48 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

Final inspections

Talk to your inspector - I just had a similar discussion. Drywall is up, exterior is closed in, electric is done except for hanging light fixtures. I have trim work, interior doors, and floors to yet finish. When I complete the water and gas plumbing and install smoke alarms we can do the final inspection.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 01:09 AM   #8
dIYHell

Rewards Points: 150

Final inspections

Interesting information, all electrical , plumbing ,hvac, and drywall will be complete but will need to do floors, paint and bring areas of the house that have existed just fine for 50 years up to code. Don't want to have to apply for another permit, I had to pay a huge fee and go through Design review boards and meetings for mine even though I didn't add any square feet. I'll go to the city and ask making sure not to give them any indication that Intend to move back in regardless what they say

thanks for the info
rocketdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:18 AM   #9
Remodeling Contractor

Final inspections

You should be fine. Most all cosmetic phases are not a concern to the building department.

Advertisement