DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Remodeling (
-   -   Final inspections (

rocketdoctor 03-23-2009 07:16 PM

Final inspections
Im sure Final inspections are different from state to state , city to city but Im curious what happens if you can't get final inspections for sometime. I am doing a big remodelling project and my funds have run out, I have enough money to get the house sealed up and drywall up but might not have flooring,trim and alot of fixes necessary to pass final. Can a building department prevent me from living in the house, can they fine me?

Scuba_Dave 03-23-2009 07:21 PM

Until you receive an occupancy permit your are not allowed to occupy the premises. They could fine you, attempt to have you removed
Contact them & see what they say
Explain the issues & timeline to complete the work

Bob Mariani 03-23-2009 09:22 PM

No, you can ask for an extension to your permit.
And after that file for a new permit. That is all. CO is only needed for selling the house.

Scuba_Dave 03-23-2009 09:25 PM

That's not what it states on my building permit for an addition

Bob Mariani 03-23-2009 09:33 PM


Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave (Post 249164)
That's not what it states on my building permit for an addition

In MA maybe they would kick you out. I had an open permit on a new septic that I did not need to finish since the addition was not done for 3 years now. In any case you can extend or get a new permit. They just do not really kick you out of your house unless it is a city and is deemed unsafe.

Scuba_Dave 03-23-2009 09:49 PM

Possibly you can move in while work continues:


What is an occupancy permit?

Occupancy permits are documents that signify that a building surveyor is satisfied and has approved your building as being suitable for occupation. The Building Act 1993 requires the issue of an occupancy permit prior to occupation of a new building.
An occupancy permit is not a statement that all the building work is necessarily complete. Nor is it a certificate that states that all building work complies with the relevant legislation or contract. An occupancy permit is issued when your building is "suitable to occupy" from a health and safety point of view.
An occupancy permit will only be issued to you when items affecting health and safety are in place and capable of being operational. These include things such as the water supply, sanitary and cooking facilities, smoke alarms, safety glass, handrails and balustrades. It does not mean that all the painting is done or that the carpet is laid, for example.

vsheetz 03-23-2009 10:48 PM

Talk to your inspector - I just had a similar discussion. Drywall is up, exterior is closed in, electric is done except for hanging light fixtures. I have trim work, interior doors, and floors to yet finish. When I complete the water and gas plumbing and install smoke alarms we can do the final inspection.

rocketdoctor 03-24-2009 12:09 AM

Interesting information, all electrical , plumbing ,hvac, and drywall will be complete but will need to do floors, paint and bring areas of the house that have existed just fine for 50 years up to code. Don't want to have to apply for another permit, I had to pay a huge fee and go through Design review boards and meetings for mine even though I didn't add any square feet. I'll go to the city and ask making sure not to give them any indication that Intend to move back in regardless what they say

thanks for the info

Bob Mariani 03-24-2009 06:18 AM

You should be fine. Most all cosmetic phases are not a concern to the building department.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:36 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1