Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-18-2012, 12:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

filling in wood panel seams

We have been working on the wood panel in our upstairs to get ready for our first baby. By working on I mean getting it covered up because it looks terrible. Well in the room that will be the nursery the previous owners did a TERRIBLE job and we have spent much time getting the paint off with a belt sander. We also had my brother-in-laws helping by scraping between the planks, into the beading, where the belt sander couldn't get to the thinner. But that is taking WAY too long.

So we thought maybe instead we could use either wood filler or joint compound to just fill in the beading/seams in that room to make the whole surface flat. As time consuming as we thought that would be previously, it is becoming clear that it will certainly take less time than scraping off the paint thinner in the beading.

The question(s) is , is this a good idea? If so, do we use wood filler or joint compound? And is it ok to leave that little bit of paint thinner and just cover it up with either joint compound or wood filler? Will it be a problem to adhere either filler or compound to that area with thinner?

Any advice is most appreciated!

Jeden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 48

Why did you not just remove the paneling if you want a smooth wall?
A belt sander is made for removing large amounts of material, not a great tool for removing paint from a wall and have it come out smooth. A Random obital sander would give you a much smooth finish.
Use drywall compound to fill in the beads. Scrape it off with a drywall knife and apply a second coat then sand it. Prime then paint.
Still will look like painted paneling.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:33 PM   #3

remember this is a baby's room,contain your sanding dust and be careful using solvents
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Struble For This Useful Post:
Jeden (03-18-2012)
Old 03-18-2012, 12:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Why did you not just remove the paneling if you want a smooth wall?
A belt sander is made for removing large amounts of material, not a great tool for removing paint from a wall and have it come out smooth. A Random obital sander would give you a much smooth finish.
Use drywall compound to fill in the beads. Scrape it off with a drywall knife and apply a second coat then sand it. Prime then paint.
Still will look like painted paneling.
Thank you for the advice. I actually was going to use an oribital sander but my father, who is much more experienced in home improvement, told me to get a belt sander after I explained how difficult it was to remove the multiple layers of paint (it was like concrete!) from the walls. I probably should have come here before and not after starting the project...

Thank you for the drywall tip, I think I will try that. Also, what do you think about covering the bits of paint thinner we can't get off with the drywall? Do you see any problem with that? Thanks so much again for your time and help!
Old 03-18-2012, 12:46 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 48

Paint thinner is a liquid solvent so I have no clue what your talking about.
Is it paint remover in a paste form instead?
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Paint thinner is a liquid solvent so I have no clue what your talking about.
Is it paint remover in a paste form instead?
Sorry I didn't make that clear, when we put paint thinner on to start stripping, the thinner leaked into the seams, the same seams we want to cover up with dry wall and so we would be covering up that small amount of dried on paint thinner. Would there be any health hazard or any other reason to be worried about doing that? I hope that make sense, excuse my ignorance and thanks again!