Filling Low Areas In Plaster Walls - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-08-2010, 03:23 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Filling low areas in plaster walls

Wasn't sure which forum to put this in so I'll start here. Let me know if this is the wrong spot.

First,
I have a confession to make. I have lurked around forums such as these for years getting invaluable information and tips. So now I finally joined this one and can say a big thankys to those who take the time to read and answer our posts!!!

I am in the middle of a (nightmare more than three week long) 5 x 8 bathroom remodel. Btw, house was build in 1952. I consider myself average; can wire to code, plumb somewhat to code lol, frame, etc... I'll save the short story on the project for later if anyone's interested and will get right to the point. It was intended to be a major but not complete remodel.I am installing 3/16 MDF beadboard floor to ceiling. Replaced the bottom half of the wall with drywall due to removing tile. The top part of the wall appears to have been plastered either over drywall or some type of maybe cement board or similar backer. Did they use a backer board over drywall to plaster back in the day? Never seen anything like it. There are two layers of sheeting on the top wall of which the top layer is the above and the bottom seems to be regular drywall.

If it is plaster, then the plasterer was drinking some clear liquid along with the clear water he was mixing the plaster with. There are high spots and low spots in this finish sometimes as much 1/2" or even more in a couple spots. I have taken care of the high spots with a grinder (that's how I found the cement or whatever board as the top layer). But not sure how to fill the low spots. I realize the 3/16 beadboard itself is going to be very forgiving on some unevenness of the walls, especially since I am installing it with adhesive. But some of the remaining low areas are as much as 1/4"-3/8" deep. The areas I am most concerned about are near the ceiling and corners and along the lines where the boards will meet. I need to fill them to keep the ends of the panels from bowing and keep them flush.

Question(s): So, what should I use to fill the low areas? The areas have been painted but the paint is in good condition. I have considered using 1/4, 3/16, 1/8, etc.. paneling scraps but i am looking for a better (and smoother) solution. I have read that regular drywall joint compound is not a good choice, but that the setting type (powder) is OK. I have also read about something called Durabond powder mix in a brown bag. I cannot find that at the local big 2 HI stores here and the Durabond website doesn't list that but does list something called Durex Plaster Bond premixed in 1 and 4 litre cans. Sounds like what I might be looking for but not sure.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Advertisement

Nayehi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:44 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,256

My inclination would be to shim it as you described.

A note for future reference. It's possible for some old plaster walls to contain asbestos so you shouldn't grind them. http://www.stanford.edu/dept/EHS/pro...act_sheet.html

Advertisement

jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:53 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogr View Post
My inclination would be to shim it as you described.

A note for future reference. It's possible for some old plaster walls to contain asbestos so you shouldn't grind them. http://www.stanford.edu/dept/EHS/pro...act_sheet.html
Thanks jogr, for your quick reply.

Yeah shimming was my original plan but thought I'd post here first. Been meaning to join anyway. Like most of us I have lots of scrap paneling and plywood and half used shims I could use and use the adhesive to put that up as well. Would probably be the quickest method.

And thanks very much for the info on some older plaster containing asbestos. I did not know that. I'm not even sure if it is plaster, but looked like it and was very hard. Thus the grinder lol. I did wear a respirator while grinding because I have respiratory problems and I did contain the dust in the bathroom. However I used a shop vac to clean up the dust. So there is a chance it got in the air. As soon as I read your reply, I took a garden sprayer and wet the entire room down with water and vac'd it up and wiped it down. Best I could think of to do at this point.

Tony
Nayehi is offline   Reply With Quote