Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-02-2010, 11:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

A few quick questions about redoing a shower

1. I'm using 15 pound felt paper for a moisture barrier behind the backerboard. The shower pan has a 1" flange. Should I affix the moisture barrier to the flange or does it matter? In a vid I saw, they used asphalt roofing cement to affix the two, but nothing else I've read has mentioned the need to do it.

2. Should I fill in the gap between the backerboard and the shower flange with silicon chalk or thin-set mortar? The manufacturer of the shower pan (Swanstone) states I should leave a 1/2" gap between the shower base's flange and the backerboard.

3. I'm using Hardibacker for the backerboard. Should I leave a 1/8" gap between sheets? The manufacturer's website doesn't say anything about it either way, but my understanding is it's right practice.

4. I'm installing a Swanstone shower base (pan). The instructions state I should lay a bed of thin-set under the base to prevent it from flexing while in use. The floor's almost dead level. Is it worth doing?

I've never done any of this before and I just want to be bulletproof.

Swazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:06 PM   #2
Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

A few quick questions about redoing a shower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swazzle View Post
1. I'm using 15 pound felt paper for a moisture barrier behind the backerboard. The shower pan has a 1" flange. Should I affix the moisture barrier to the flange or does it matter? In a vid I saw, they used asphalt roofing cement to affix the two, but nothing else I've read has mentioned the need to do it.
I saw that same video, and like you, I haven't seen anything else saying to do that. Everything else has said to have the paper (or plastic) come inside the flange, but doesn't mention gluing it.

I'd like to hear what others have to say about this.