Farmhouse Sink Install Question - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-22-2013, 03:38 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 286

Farmhouse sink install question

I am building new cabinets and I have a 30" marble farmhouse sink that I'm installing, but I have a couple of questions.

1st, I am curious if I should add more structure to the cabinet it sits on. It has 3/4" plywood sides and bottom with a 2" poplar face frame. I have another sheet of 3/4" plywood sitting on top of the sides and glues and screwed down to essentially create a shelf for the sink to sit on. I also cut a rabbit in the top rail so the top plywood shelf would sit flush with the top rail. To add a bit of structure along the back of the shelf I added a 1x2 horizontal support, which is glued and screwed to the underside of the shelf. I then cut a hole in the shelf about 2" bigger all the way around where the drain hole is so. At this point I have no center stile on the front of the face frame, trying to determine if we want one or not. I'm doing flush mounted doors. Should this suffice in holding the weight of the sink? I have it up there right now and it feels solid, but of course, there is no water in the sink yet! Shipping weight of the sink, in a crate was about 250lbs.

2nd, Should I put a few dabs of silicone between the bottom of the sink and the shelf to help hold it in place or is that not necessary, once I silicone around the edges and bottom?

3rd, Still undecided about installing a garbage disposal on this sink as it isn't hooked to dishwasher and we have a 2nd sink in a working pantry with a disposal. BUT....if I do, I'm curious what I need special, if anything to do that. I bought the sink 5yrs ago, because I found a bargain on it and I recall the company saying something about a special fitting if hooking a disposal to it, but don't recall what that is. Kind of curious what experience anyone has had with a disposal on these as well. My drain line for this sink is 2" PVC except the trap will likely be 1-1/2" and the vent is an AAV if that matters as a roof mounted vent isn't possible for this install.

Thanks for any advice!!

Advertisement

Master Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:43 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 286

Farmhouse sink install question

Maybe I should also add that this cabinets face frame is glued, with gorilla glue, on both sides to the adjoining cabinets and the plywood sides are screwed to the adjoining cabinets as well.

Advertisement

Master Brian is offline   Reply With Quote