Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-26-2012, 12:11 PM   #1

Share |

Fancy old window trim

Hello, I am getting ready to hire a crew to remove a add on and rebuild a bigger one I want to keep the trim around one of the windows because it will match the rest of the trim that will be in the open area of the existing room that the add on will be open too, I was told by the contractors that because of a new law that went into force April 2012 and as old as the house is it had to be checked for lead base paint I had it tested and was told there is lead base paint under the exsiting paint but the tester said it is sealed very good with the non lead paint but once removed by the contractor it will have to disposed of as hazardious waste because of the lead paint base, I want to keep the trim, I don't have any children under 6 years old no woman in the house is pregnat or planning on being pregnat, it is not a child care facility, So my question is can I as the home owner and this is my living space remove the trim myself before I hirer a contractors to do the rest of the job even if the Lead Tester company took pictures of the trim already ?

HomeOwner-Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:17 PM   #2

Fancy old window trim

That's pretty much it. No clue why but they let home owner do it but a contractor can not without have a special licence and training to do it.

What's so special about this trim?

How about picture of it.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:53 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Fancy old window trim

You can strip the paint and abate the lead.

If you take it off and put it back with lead paint on it you will still have to disclose it should you sell. As abatement gets more and more expensive it could hinder selling your place. I know, silly for a piece of trim.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote