Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-29-2010, 08:03 PM   #1

Share |

Exterior window casing-

1930 colonial style house with white stucco needs exterior casing
Need to do exterior casing and not sure which material to use. Casing will be painted white.

Pine or poplar woods were mentioned, then aluminum capping over this.
Have also heard about tough board, this is primed white.

But, I have been looking at vinyl, seems to work with little maintainance. been checking into Azek. Anyone familiar with this.

Also, what size should boards between, on top and on the ends be? 4", 5" 6"? Not sure.
Thanks
sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:05 PM   #2
remodeling pro

Exterior window casing-

I think it will look much better, especially on a stucco house to stay with trim that looks like wood, rather than aluminum capping. We do high end work and use Azeck for almost all exterior trim. It is a very good product; be wary of some of the other less expensive vinyl or pvc brands, the cheaper stuff is much more brittle, prone to cracking, and often is a poor quality core with a hard skin on it. Prime with a recommended zylene based primer and apply a top quality latex finish for a paint job that should last 15 years. Since this is pretty much a "forever" product don't skrimp on the ancillary items; we use only stainless gun nails (so called "galvanized" is trash) and urethane caulking. More expensive, yes; but do it once and forget about it. As for widths...4 9/16" has pretty much been the dimension of choice for many, many years, check it out on older traditional buildings you see.

Last edited by troubleseeker; 01-29-2010 at 09:11 PM.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:19 PM   #3

Exterior window casing-

Thanks. i didn't think this stuff had to be painted. What is the best way to paint it? Does it need to be primed?
Could you tell me more about the nails you mentioned? Thanks.
sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:54 PM   #4
remodeling pro

Exterior window casing-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp View Post
Thanks. i didn't think this stuff had to be painted. What is the best way to paint it? Does it need to be primed?
Could you tell me more about the nails you mentioned? Thanks.
I think I covered all these in reply to the private message you sent me.
As for not needing paint, I see that advertised all the time as one less step to perform, but once you see the condition of the surfaces after it has been shipped from distributor and lumberyard you will know the two posibilities of this in the real world...slim and none.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote