Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-07-2012, 06:09 AM   #1

Share |

Exterior entrance ideas needed

Hello. The current project this year is the front of the house. As you see the photos it needs updating. All awnings will be coming off when the new windows are installed.

What are your ideas of what I can do with the entrance?

I was thinking of creating a a triangle entrance tying it into the rafters and encase it with stone?
Attached Thumbnails
Exterior entrance ideas needed-image-83341871.jpg   Exterior entrance ideas needed-image-572930762.jpg   Exterior entrance ideas needed-image-3421735310.jpg  

ryanb4614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:32 AM   #2
JOATMON

I like the actual door and the way it is framed....but, yea...that awning has to go.....

How about a gable roof over the door? That is exactly what I did to my house about 8 years ago. Originally, the roof just came down and you had about 30" of eve to keep the rain off you. I built this gable and it totally changed the look of the front of the house....

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:13 AM   #3

Ya I'm going to do some reading to know how to do gamble roofs that would be ideal and maybe make it stone. I will also widen the porch area a little.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:19 AM   #4

I have been trying to find framing ideas for this project but cannot find anything. I was told you would basically in simple terms you leave the roofing there and nothing would be cut on the roof. you lay a triangle down and nail it to the rafters, seal it with roofing cement and start building it out. I need more info then this lol. Anyone have any links to framing something like this out. I would like it to be a creative idea so the entrance/front of the house stands out a little more, add some character.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:40 AM   #5
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanb4614 View Post
I have been trying to find framing ideas for this project but cannot find anything. I was told you would basically in simple terms you leave the roofing there and nothing would be cut on the roof. you lay a triangle down and nail it to the rafters, seal it with roofing cement and start building it out. I need more info then this lol. Anyone have any links to framing something like this out. I would like it to be a creative idea so the entrance/front of the house stands out a little more, add some character.
I think you 'sort of' have the idea....except I would remove the shingles...

Basically....figure out how wide you want it....that determines how high the ridge beam is going to be. Simple triangle stuff....say you want the whole thing 10' wide (that might be a bit much, but it's an easy number to work with). That means each side is 5'...so you measure 5' in on your roof. Make sure you use the same plane for all measurements.

That 5' point is where the ridge beam will intersect the roof.

You now need a frame in front of the door for the other end of the ridge beam to sit on. Look at the pic of my house to get an idea...

Next....lay out boards (2x8) at a 45 deg angle from from the intersection of the ridge board....the edge needs to be in a few inches from where the new roof sheathing would intersect the old roof. These boards get nailed to the roof and become the base to set the new rafters on.

The attached detail is what was in my drawings for my 2-story addition....I'll be basically building the same thing in a week or so to go over an upstairs bedroom bay window....the difference will be that it will not project out more than 24".

I would avoid the roofing cement....that is a hack.....once you pull back the existing shingles....easy to put down tar paper, valey flashing and then the shingles....do it right....it will last a lot longer...and look better.
Attached Thumbnails
Exterior entrance ideas needed-calif-framing.jpg  

My
and

Last edited by ddawg16; 06-08-2012 at 06:42 AM.
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:37 PM   #6
DIY-er

You've got lots of space, so I would go big. Make the landing 6-8 ft wide, install support posts at the outer corners, and build a covered roof that is 8-10 ft. wide. A gable roof that ties back into your existing roof would look great. I would also exaggerate the size of the front door by placing aluminum trim beside the existing door trim (on top of the brick) so that it fills in the entire alcove area. It could match up with existing header. This is a cheap way to make your door look bigger, grander, more appealing.
KevinPh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:59 AM   #7

Hello. I have been told that this is a simple project that I would just have to make sure I calculate everything correctly with the length of the boards and pay attention to the angels. I am unsure of calculating this. I have been told by a contract that I got an estimate that this is very simple and would be only a few hundred dollars. Well 3 weeks later he gives me a quote of $2,500 just to do the framing. Does anyone have building plans they care to share? I would like to tackle this in the upcoming weeks. I want to make sure I install it correctly to avoid any leakage into the house.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:52 AM   #8
DIY-er

www.thehousedesigners.com has 100's of plans you can purchase. You might have to buy the entire package for the house, but at least you will have the correct plans. There are so many to choose from, I'm sure you will find one that is right for your home.

KevinPh is offline   Reply With Quote