Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-06-2012, 08:12 AM   #1

Share |

Exposing the rafters on my porch

This is a re-post from the Electrical forum. Thought I would drop it here also to solicit ideas for concealing the nails that are visible through the roof sheathing (see below). Thanks!
I removed an aging ceiling from our screened in porch with the idea to expose the rafters/joists for a more open environment. My initial dilemma is to determine how to route existing wiring for the ceiling fan and outside lights.

This is my first request for assistance on here so please bear with me as I try to run through the technicalities of this project.

First the pic:

Bottomline: Can I drill through the 2x6 rafters at 1-1/4 inch and run the wires through to service the existing lights?

The previous ceiling was an eyesore so we removed it to see what we had and potentially open it up a bit. It looks great now, except for the nails popping through the roof sheathing. I want to cover that up. Current plan is to nail plywood or beadboard to the bottom of the rafters, leaving the horizontal joists exposed, and then stain it the same color as the rest of the porch. I'm not sure what I can do with the wires though.

1) Can I drill the rafters and run the wire through?

2) Understanding I am going to cover the rafters with plywood/beadboard, do I need to replace the romex with a different "outdoor coded" wire?

I plan on posting this in the remodling forum for more ideas on covering the 'nails-through-sheathing' dilemma, but I thought I'd start here as concealing the wiring is my primary concern.

Thanks in advance for any advice out there!

tahens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:34 AM   #2

2. I don't understand this statement. Are you going to cut 1 1/2" and 5 1/2 pieces of bead board to wrap the rafters? Seems like a lot of work. My suggestion would be to paint the whole thing. If you use a flat black, it will not draw a lot of attention to the rafters, and at night will be almost invisible.

packer_rich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to packer_rich For This Useful Post:
tahens (06-06-2012)
Old 06-06-2012, 11:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by packer_rich View Post
2. I don't understand this statement. Are you going to cut 1 1/2" and 5 1/2 pieces of bead board to wrap the rafters? Seems like a lot of work. My suggestion would be to paint the whole thing. If you use a flat black, it will not draw a lot of attention to the rafters, and at night will be almost invisible.
No. I am looking to conceal the unsightly roof sheathing with the shingle nails poking through. The options I am currently considering are:

1) Fir down between the rafters and then place beadboard planks (approx. 22.5" x 6') between each set of rafters.

2) Nail the beadboard to the underside of the rafters and then trim seams with 1x2 (on every rafter). My thinking is that this will be much easier, and the trim will give the effect of exposed rafters.

I like your idea of flat black paint though. I might have to test that by painting one section to see how it looks.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:47 PM   #4

Just giving you some ideas.

silversport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:58 PM   #5
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahens View Post
I am looking to conceal the unsightly roof sheathing with the shingle nails poking through.
Just clip the nails off flush and paint.
Attached Images

Old 06-06-2012, 05:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
Just clip the nails off flush and paint.
Not a bad idea either! As I continue to stare at the ceiling, I will now weigh whether or not this isn't just as acceptable as my other options.

Great forum!
Old 06-06-2012, 05:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversport View Post
Just giving you some ideas.

That is kind of the look we are going for. Thanks for the pics! I'd like to determine how many of my horizontal joists (term?) I can remove to open it up a bit more like shown here.

Side note: My wife wants the same fan on our porch. Must be a VA thing.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:50 PM   #8

Check with your local AHJ. Most areas require light-frame roof systems of living spaces to be covered in case of fire; no exposed rafters, ceiling joists, roof sheathing, unless heavy-timber framed.....

Gary