Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-16-2012, 12:09 PM   #1

Share |

epoxy countertop products.

Hi all I'm new here, and looking for some help with a certain product.

I've been doing some updating to the kitchen in a home i just purchased, I'm on a really tight budget having two dogs and two young kids, But i desperately need new countertops. I have a fairly large area to cover about 92 sq feet. I like the look of granite but not the price. I have found a few products that say they look like granite. But do they really? Has any used any of these products that claim this? DO they last?

I'm pretty decent at building pretty much anything, so I'm fully confident in my ability to make countertops, I just need a point in the right direction for the proper product to get me going.

http://www.armorgarage.com/corekit.html

this is the kind of thing I'm looking at doing, but having no experience with epoxy I have no idea what i should be looking for when buying a product. so i have no clue whats good or whats bad.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

hit_em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:15 AM   #2

If you are doing this yourself and your budget is tight, then just tile it and grout with urethane. For 92 feet, you can probably find a good porcelain 3x3 tile for $2.50/square foot. Add $100 for the grout and $15 for the mortar and you are spending less than $350. Surely you can line everything with backerboard for $50 and be done for $400?

cleveman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:08 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. My budget would be around 1000 dollars. My last house ha tile counters and I personally hated them and so did the wife.
hit_em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:11 AM   #4

Go to Home Depot and look at there new preformed counter tops there carrying. Looks like stone and has a roman ogee on the back splash and the front edge.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:53 AM   #5

Your question doesn't say what you intend using under the epoxy, but I had some experience with using a high gloss epoxy coating over stained wood.

I had a lot of trouble with the epoxy forming small bubbles which had to brought to the surface with a blowtorch. Also, getting the epoxy to coat well on the vertical edges was a bit of a challenge.

In the end it cost me a lot of time, a remake of one counter, and several extra bottles of epoxy and hardener to do the job properly. With a limited budget there are a few other options.

Firstly, consider making your own counters using plastic laminate. There are some easy things you can do to customize the edge treatments and back splashes to give a really great look.

It's fairly straightforward and if you're interested, in a few days I'll be posting a link to my blog which is under construction at the moment. Another option is to order factory made counters with formed edges and, if you want it, formed back splashes.

These are easy to install and relatively inexpensive and if you're looking for a great deal and a price that won't likely be beaten, you can call this number without any obligation: Number removed by moderator

Last edited by oh'mike; 02-20-2012 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Phone numbers --not wise--PM those
TR Tony is offline   Reply With Quote