Electrical Outlets And Granite Backsplash, How? - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-18-2006, 12:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Electrical outlets and Granite backsplash, how?

we are having a granite backsplash installed (along w/ the countertops), they made templates, and marked where existing outlets are on the old wall.

i am doing the electrical work.

my question. how do i raise the outlets so they are flush w/ the new backsplash? the graite is the 3cm variety, so they need to be moved out 3cm to be flush. after they finished the template, i asked the installers, and he simply said "longer switchplates screws", w/o really thinking i agreed. but that would leave the actual recepticals 3cm behind the switchplates.

any walkthroughs? or advice?

Advertisement

section8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 02:43 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

This is more of an electrical question....in other words, an electrician (which I am not) can help you. Try asking this in the Electrical forum, there might be something creative that can be done.

Only thing I can say is, if you haven't cut the holes into the granite backsplash yet....try putting the outlets above them instead of in them.

Otherwise, by the sounds of it, you would have to open up the wall areas above the existing outlets and reset the depth of the boxes so the sockets match the depth of the granite backsplash surface.

Advertisement

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 06-18-2006 at 05:05 PM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 09:27 AM   #3

The trick (which our electrician told us before the granite was cut) is to have the holes in the granite cut to the outside dimensions of the outlet box so that you can attach the recepticle on top of the granite to the screw holes in the outlet box using longer screws. You may have to get oversize cover plates, depending on how big an opening was actually cut. If it is not too late I recommend using black recepticles/cover plates if your granite is dark, such as Uba Tuba.
HWPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 03:25 PM   #4

Wink

I agree with this response"Only thing I can say is, if you haven't cut the holes into the granite backsplash yet....try putting the outlets above them instead of in them."

But I think it will be good idea to check out this website that has tricks and photos related to your topic specifically...

http://www.JustKitchenBacksplash.com

check it out.

Kathy White
links is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 05:15 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

I ran into the same thing tiling my kitchen wall. I installed a blue plastic outlet box that will accept a "box extender", which I attached after the tile was done. The box extender will adjust to a range of depths and seems to hold the outlet securely in place. I got it at Home Depot, but I'm sure you could get it at other places also.
billinak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 02:02 PM   #6
NH Builder

I just built a new home and we have granite countertops and back splash. I worked closely with the granite installer and the electrician and this is what we did.

the wires are left loose, taped and the power shut off. Once the granite is installed, a "WORK BOX" electrical box is put in, these boxes have little "wings" that expand and grip the back side of the granite. Then the outlet is reconnected. Quite simple actually.

Be careful and use and electrician if its required in your state.
NHBuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 07:55 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWPipes View Post
The trick (which our electrician told us before the granite was cut) is to have the holes in the granite cut to the outside dimensions of the outlet box so that you can attach the recepticle on top of the granite to the screw holes in the outlet box using longer screws. You may have to get oversize cover plates, depending on how big an opening was actually cut. If it is not too late I recommend using black recepticles/cover plates if your granite is dark, such as Uba Tuba.
This is standard practice in our area. The ears of the switches
and receptacles rest on the granite. Attachment is made
with longer screws.

Advertisement

jbob is offline   Reply With Quote