Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-28-2012, 09:09 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 4
Share |

economical trim ?

i have an old house. it has craftsman style trim in it. i am replacing all of this because of poor condition and it being painted (who in there right mind paints nice wood ?!). if i use solid hardwoods, this can get very expensive.
is there something more economical and nice looking that i can use ?

Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:19 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 0

economical trim ?

You could strip the existing?
I have seen spruce 1x4 with a routed top edge then stained looked good when I saw it 2 years after install.

mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:12 PM   #3
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 8

economical trim ?

spruce is too unstable for trim and has a ugly grain pattern.

pine is the cheapest thing you can use and is easy to work with but dents easily. if you want something more durable but wont break the bank poplar is a good choice, when stained correctly it can look just like maple or cherry as the grain pattern is almost identical
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:40 PM   #4

economical trim ?

It would probably be best to use solid wood. I think you can still buy wood rough cut for $1.50/board foot.

I figure in a craftsman style home we are talking oak, but it could be cherry.

One option might be to take what you ripped out and take a 1/16th off the face with a planer. I don't know how this will work, planing wood which has been painted. I've never done it. Anyway, get it presentable again, reinstall it, then cap it off with a 2" piece of solid wood which will be grooved on the bottom to go over the old piece and will have some decorative moulding on the top.

Another option would be to use some 3/4 or 1/2 plywood and do the same with a solid cap. I think there is cheap plywood and there is some more expensive plywood with better grain patterns. You could probably pay $100/sheet for it if you have to compete with random length & width rough cut wood. But you want to avoid having it look like plywood.

If you have some other projects, the solid wood alternative is easier to stomach. For example, if you can use some 1 1/2" stock or 2" stock, then you can rip down some 6-6 1/2" boards to 4" for your base. If you have no other projects, it will be difficult to find a lot of inexpensive boards which are all in the width you need.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:28 AM   #5

economical trim ?

i was afraid you guys were going to say that. but i had to ask.

i could plain it, but who knows what it is like under the paint.

perhaps there is an online place that i can buy bulk from ? or a local place that is less expensive that a box store ?

this trim could end up being many thousands of dollars = ouch
Old 09-29-2012, 11:51 AM   #6
journeyman carpenter

economical trim ?

the problem with planing is two things.. 1 it could be lead based paint and you dont want that getting airborn.. 2 the paint trashes planer knives in no time which will give you a terrible finish requiring a ton of sanding
The Following User Says Thank You to woodworkbykirk For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (09-29-2012)
Old 09-30-2012, 08:35 AM   #7

economical trim ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkbykirk View Post
the problem with planing is two things.. 1 it could be lead based paint and you dont want that getting airborn.. 2 the paint trashes planer knives in no time which will give you a terrible finish requiring a ton of sanding
not to mention if you hit a hidden nail.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:38 AM   #8

economical trim ?

cut the old trim up for kindling and buy some new stuff, it'll last another life time and be worth it if you plan to stay there a long time and probably will out last you.
princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:44 AM   #9
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 10

economical trim ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by princelake View Post
cut the old trim up for kindling and buy some new stuff, it'll last another life time and be worth it if you plan to stay there a long time and probably will out last you.

lead based kindling?

It might be worth picking up a heat gun,respirator and a scraper. Try and get the build up off to see what is underneath of the build up. Depending on the trim profile and how hard it would be to scrape this could be an option
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:22 AM   #10

economical trim ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by princelake View Post
yeah, thats what i am doing. but i do not stand by the fire pit. idk if there is lead paint on the trim, i have no way of knowing when the natural wood was painted over. but i am sure there is some. but some of this wood is going to be reused, as trim for the new windows. until i can put new siding on the house, then that will also get burned.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:29 AM   #11

economical trim ?

painted hard wood trim is basically junk unless you reuse it somewhere. sand it down or plane it down would take alot of time and probably destroy more then one set of blades on a planer. so burn, build bird houses with it whatever. what im saying is replace it instead of restoring it.
princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:56 PM   #12
journeyman carpenter

economical trim ?

as mentioned restoring it is a painfully long and tedious process in comparison to replacing it..

as for getting wood cheaper than a big box store. go to a local mill and see what they offer

The Following User Says Thank You to woodworkbykirk For This Useful Post:
GBrackins (09-30-2012)