Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-03-2007, 06:56 PM   #1
Oldie but new here

Rewards Points: 10

Durabond "splotchy"

I'm using Durabond to texturize my bathroom walls. Tried some inside the closet first & noticed several areas where it's blotchy gray, whereas other areas are white.What would cause that? I've done a lot of research, but haven't seen this problem discussed before.

Bit of background...the bottom half of the bathroom was tiled with plastic marble-ized tiles, even missing tiles in a few places. When I removed the tiles, several places, the plaster came off down to the gray coat. So I just chipped away all of the white coat everywhere the plastic tiles used to be. I want a textured look when I'm done, but I don't want blotches. HELP!!

T8RBUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 07:49 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Durabond "splotchy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by T8RBUG View Post
I'm using Durabond to texturize my bathroom walls. Tried some inside the closet first & noticed several areas where it's blotchy gray, whereas other areas are white.What would cause that? I've done a lot of research, but haven't seen this problem discussed before.

Bit of background...the bottom half of the bathroom was tiled with plastic marble-ized tiles, even missing tiles in a few places. When I removed the tiles, several places, the plaster came off down to the gray coat. So I just chipped away all of the white coat everywhere the plastic tiles used to be. I want a textured look when I'm done, but I don't want blotches. HELP!!
One possibility is that something underneath is bleeding through to cause the color difference. What I mean is that something on the existing sheetrock surface (like an old stain) is coming through the durabond. This happens alot when going over older walls.

I wouldn't worry about the color difference, just prime it and paint it. Try applying a stain-killing compound (like Zissner's oil based primer)..... and then do a final paint coat (flat or semi gloss white?) ....

For what it's worth: We NEVER use durabond for texturing. We use redi-mixed compound in the 5 gallon buckets. We mix one bucket of compound to about 1/4 gallon of flat white paint.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 03-03-2007 at 07:52 PM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 07:53 PM   #3
Oldie but new here

Rewards Points: 10

Durabond "splotchy"

I'm using the durabond because of the "open" plaster that needs to be covered. I heard that I shouldn't use the redimix because it wouldn't stick to the plaster.
T8RBUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 08:32 PM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Durabond "splotchy"

FWIW - Redimix compound will definitely stick to plaster.

Durabond is stronger, and the way to go if you are having issues with the plaster.
If you are having issues with the plaster, you should fix any cracks or bad areas prior to texturing. (using the durabond and fiberglass mesh tape for cracks) ..... Coat it until it is relatively 'smooth'.

Then add your redi-mix texture with the paint added to it....

Should work out fine.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote