Drywalled Basement, Now Seeing Mold Starting - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-15-2012, 12:12 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Drywalled basement, now seeing mold starting

My situation is this, I have a bone dry basement when it comes to floods, etc. However, recently it has been very humid and I haven't had my dehumidifier running and it's pretty humid down there. I have started to renovate my basement, I have painted all the block walls with DryLok waterproofing and insulated with hard foam boards.

I noticed one spot that had mold growing at the top of the drywall near my sump pump, which is what got my attention. I removed it and found no mold, just on the finished side of the drywall. Keep in mind nothing has been painted or spackeled. I used PT sill plates and 2 x 3's for studs since there's no load.

Now I am noticing mold forming on the lower parts of the drywall on one of the walls not directly on the block walls, it's built out for a closet.

I used normal drywall, which is what I have always seen done, and my father/friend's have done without issue. I'm starting to think I made a mistake there and should have gone with the green board. However I'm not tearing it all down now and redoing it, unless I absolutely have to.

Is this happening because I didn't use green board? Or is it because I haven't painted the walls yet? There was a room in the basement before we bought the house with no mold on it but it wasn't up against any walls.

I'm going to prime with Kilz and run the dehumidifier constantly.

Any thoughts/experience with this?

Advertisement

Weekend Warrior DIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:17 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 712

Going to have to kill the mold before trying to prime.
It needs to be primed and painted two coats. I'd suggest you add some M1 midicide in the primer to be safe.

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Going to have to kill the mold before trying to prime.
It needs to be primed and painted two coats. I'd suggest you add some M1 midicide in the primer to be safe.
What is causing the mold, besides moisture? Should I put a plastic vapor barrier over the back of the wall where it is happening?

How do you kill the mold? A simple chlorine spray? It's not black, I just see spots with a flashlight.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:37 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 712

Without a picture it's anyone guess what's going on.
Also the drywall should never be in direct contact with the floor.
It needed to be about 1/2 off of it to prevent wicking.
And yes a simple water and bleach will kill it if it's mold.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:43 PM   #5

The drywall isn't in any contact with the floor, it's a 1/2" up, I used scraps of drywall as spaces every piece I put up. And it's only happening on this one wall.

I'm thinking it's cause the dehumidifier hasen't been on, due to construction, the lack of gutters, due to construction, the excessive rains we've had recently, the lack of a vapor barrier and the sump pit being right there.
Attached Thumbnails
Drywalled basement, now seeing mold starting-dsc_0714.jpg   Drywalled basement, now seeing mold starting-dsc_0713.jpg  
Old 08-16-2012, 01:25 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,080

If you keep water in your bathtub for extended periods, you will get mold on the drywall too (unless it is painted--vapor retarder). You have an open tub of water there (sump pump) with unpainted drywall.....

Gary
Old 08-16-2012, 08:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
If you keep water in your bathtub for extended periods, you will get mold on the drywall too (unless it is painted--vapor retarder). You have an open tub of water there (sump pump) with unpainted drywall.....

Gary
Agreed. My question though is that if I kill the mold with bleach, give it plenty of air flow/time to dry and paint, the mold won't be a problem?
Old 08-18-2012, 12:35 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,080

And cover the water well with an air-tight lid. Fix the others mentioned...keep an eye on it. A poly/foam sill sealer under the p.t. plates will stop capillary wicking, little late now; http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/...-building-code

If the concrete doesn't have a capillary break between the wall's slab and the pit's walls, it could always wick from there when it rains; similar to fig.6, but an inside water source; http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...sture-problems as it's only on that wall, and on the drywall surface, probably is just the pit water/moisture depositing there.

Gary
Old 01-21-2013, 10:40 AM   #9

I never responded to this as per the progression, just to let you know, I killed the mold with bleach, set up the dehumidifier, and the basement was mold free in a couple days. The sump pump pit is actually completely dry, dirt dry now and I have had no issues with mold anywhere else.

Thanks for all of the information.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Weekend Warrior DIY For This Useful Post:
Gary in WA (01-21-2013)