Drywall Or Not - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-19-2010, 01:46 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

drywall or not

my exterior wall on my 100 year old house as a whole is leaning in on the bottom, and to get my stove/oven to fit in and be up tight at the top (not 3/4" away from the wall and 3/4" father out in front of the cabinetry) i want to take out the 5/8" sheetrock from behind the stove/oven about half way or 3/4 the way up from the floor to the top of the stove so that it will seat deeper in it's place... can i use 1/4" sheetrock behind the stove/oven or is there problems because a stove puts out so much heat that the 1/4" rock won't work ? is there a heat issue here ?

Advertisement

homemade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:20 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

drywall or not

If you are talking about a kitchen oven/stove, there is little heat lose from the sides or back, so there should not be a heat issue. I would tend to be more concerned about why the wall is bowed. Is there a basic support problem or is it just the years???

Advertisement

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:25 AM   #3
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,506

drywall or not

Sure it's not your floor sagging?
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:39 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

drywall or not

i think it's just years...the house has definately settled... but looks as though it's stable... i've got everything that is on that wall figured out except the stove issue and just worried about needing a certain thickness of sheetrook because there is insulation and 2x4's behind it and i don't want any possibility of a fire...

Last edited by homemade; 03-19-2010 at 07:44 AM.
homemade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:10 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

drywall or not

hey homemade,

you can bubble gum it all you want back there, with any kind of drywall.
from an aesthetic standpoint it won't really be seen, even, if behind the stove,
but structurally, if you're concerned, 3/8 rock or 1/4 rock will need more support behind it (unless there is wood lathe), otherwise one little tap and it will bust. but who cares? it's behind the stove.
i wouldn't be worried about a fire.

perhaps better than drywall, though, if you are concernd about that, is to use some cement board back there.

but i would open up the wall and have a look at the sills and studs and see why it's heaving in like that, or check it out from the basement if possible.
it's possible that rather than the bottom heaving in, the top is raking OUT.
maybe it's a timber frame, and some pegs or tenons have broken, etc...

good luck
wombosi is offline   Reply With Quote