Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-14-2005, 01:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Drywall help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Had wood burning stove fire in basement in Feb. Having to replace drywall, need help with inside corner taping and muding any help would be great.
thanks

wseidl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 04:52 PM   #2
Remodeler

Drywall help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cut the tape to length. Fold it down the impression on the tape. Apply all purpose joint compound with a 4-6" knife. Smooth it out and lay tape on it. Run your knife down both sides of the corner making sure to remove all excess mud. Not all of it, you want the tape to be fully stuck in the mud. Allow this to dry for probably 2 days, and do another coat using a larger 6-8" knife. This should be smooth also. If you need to sabd between coats thats fine but dont sand the tape. A third coad with a 10-12" knife will probably be needed. Sand this final coat nice and smooth. Prime and paint. It takes practice but you will get the hang of it. The smoother and evener you apply the mud the easier it will end up.
Good luck.

One Man Shops
MinConst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 09:18 PM   #3

Thumbs up

Drywall help!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks for the advice and the confidence to keep trying
Billy
wseidl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 12:53 AM   #4

Drywall help!!!!!!!!!!!!

For the true beginer, apply tape allow to dry then coat one side allow to dry ,coat the opposite side allow to dry then repeat till tape is covered and mud is smooth . this will take longer but easier .
pray1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 05:50 PM   #5
Construction Junkie

Drywall help!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm also putting in new drywall, in a bathroom...I'm going to do an hand-plaster job; one of the benefits (besides looking fantastic) is that it covers flaws in the wall. So can I be satisfied if the drywall is smooth enough for good looks or is there another reason to get it perfect? thanks, as always.
sharisavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 07:22 PM   #6

Drywall help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharisavage
I'm also putting in new drywall, in a bathroom...I'm going to do an hand-plaster job; one of the benefits (besides looking fantastic) is that it covers flaws in the wall. So can I be satisfied if the drywall is smooth enough for good looks or is there another reason to get it perfect? thanks, as always.
When I was doing some bath remodels, my plaster work always looked good until I started painting. The paint really brings out all the imperfections and that's when I made sure there was always enough in the budget for a plasterer to come in and skim coat it in half a day. It made painting the next day much more enjoyable.
plumguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 08:00 PM   #7
Construction Junkie

Drywall help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, I'll go as smooth as I can. Hand-plastering gives a very random, Italian-looking finish. It's the easiest finish I ever put on a wall and also the best looking. Great for bad or patched walls, and I've got plenty of both. For ceilings, I actually apply it by hand, massaging it into the really bad spots- it's a gorgeous finish that I can't duplicate with a trowel.
sharisavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 08:07 PM   #8

Drywall help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Thanks, I'll go as smooth as I can. Hand-plastering gives a very random, Italian-looking finish. It's the easiest finish I ever put on a wall and also the best looking. Great for bad or patched walls, and I've got plenty of both. For ceilings, I actually apply it by hand, massaging it into the really bad spots- it's a gorgeous finish that I can't duplicate with a trowel.
Well there you go, it all comes to personal preference and the look and style that you are after. It sounds like you are on the right road. Good luck!
plumguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 06:45 PM   #9

Drywall help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:

What a great idea! Thanks for the tip !

sedriskill is offline   Reply With Quote