Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-09-2008, 09:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Drwall ceiling intallation problem

Initially when we began renovating our basement we had planned on a dropped ceiling. As the construction continued I learned more about drywall ceilings and decided that it would make a lot more sense to go that way. At this point, the studs are up for the walls. The ceiling joists are a couple different heights in different places, so for some of the studs we used shims along the top boards of the studs to make up for where they didn't quite reach the joists. Is there something I can do to install a drywall ceiling without actually re-installing studs? (I'd just go with a dropped if that was the case). Like, an effective way to either drop the drywall ceiling just slightly, or even maybe raise the existing studs so that they meet flush with the ceiling joists? Hope this makes sense, TIA!

ClnlBrahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 11:08 PM   #2

I'm having a really hard time following what you're saying here. Is there a chance you could post a picture to better illustrate the problem?

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 11:37 PM   #3
Nia

If I understand you, the ceiling joists need to be the same height and leveled. If you hang the drywall before correcting the problem it will be uneven with seams showing and look tacky.
Nia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 12:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nia View Post
If I understand you, the ceiling joists need to be the same height and leveled. If you hang the drywall before correcting the problem it will be uneven with seams showing and look tacky.

Well, kind of. What I mean is that they are currently uneven, and is there a reasonably feasible DIY way to create an even ceiling before applying the drywall?

I will try to post pics. It's at my parents house, so I can't readily take them. But I will attempt to get them soon. Thanks again
Old 09-10-2008, 06:44 AM   #5
Mold!! Let's kill it!

You can either install furring stips perpendicular to the joists and flatten the surface that your drywall fastens to, or fasten 2x4s to the sides of the joists. The 2x4s are placed so that all are on the same plane. With the furring lath option you start at the lowest joist and shim the intersections of the lath and joists so that all of them match the first one. (a laser level is like gold for doing this) You will loose the thickness of the lath in ceiling height. If you use the 2x4s, you may have to cut the bridging between the joists out of the way.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:14 AM   #6
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClnlBrahm View Post
Well, kind of. What I mean is that they are currently uneven, and is there a reasonably feasible DIY way to create an even ceiling before applying the drywall?

I will try to post pics. It's at my parents house, so I can't readily take them. But I will attempt to get them soon. Thanks again
Install wood strapping at 16" O.C. to the joists.

Pull a string to align the strapping (to make sure it attaches straight and not wavy). Install shims (between joist and strapping) as needed, to make the strapping lay unified and even.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:05 AM   #7
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Example:
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 06:22 PM   #8

Thank you all so much. I'm relieved to know we don't have to do a dropped ceiling. I appreciate the picture, too.