Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-16-2010, 08:50 AM   #1

Share |

Drop ceiling with Steel Floor Joists

I've been working on finishing my basement and I've been planning on putting a drop ceiling in. The walls are in place and finished, and I'm ready to move onto my ceiling but I'm not sure how to begin. The floor joists in my house are steel, not wood and I am not sure what the best way to attach the hangers for the ceiling to the steel floor joists would be.

Here is a picture of the joists in my basement:

Thank you to anyone who can provide me some assistance on figuring this one out.

stanlemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:48 AM   #2

Normally a drop ceiling is a grid or t-bar ceiling. If that is the case, the hangers drill into the bottom of the flanges with "penetrators", or sheet-metal screw into the side of the web

Anti-wingnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:09 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply! I'm not sure I know what you mean by "penetrators"?

Is there any point at which I need to be concerned about compromising the integrity of the joist by drilling in to them for a project like this? I'm assuming not, but as I have literally no experience with steel floor joists I figure it doesn't hurt to ask.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:53 PM   #4

It looks like you have holes in the joists already. You should be able to use those to set up a support system for the grid.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 02:10 PM   #5

The holes you see in the picture are on the side of the joists and are used for threading the electrical around. I assumed I had to hang the ceiling from the bottom of the joists... So I can use the electrical holes?
Old 11-16-2010, 04:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanlemon View Post
The holes you see in the picture are on the side of the joists and are used for threading the electrical around. I assumed I had to hang the ceiling from the bottom of the joists... So I can use the electrical holes?
Why not? You can use an eye bolt system to bridge the areas you need the hangers. Just plan the installation and put the hardware you need it.
Just check to see what loads the beam will support. If you use the fiberglass ceiling tiles, there won't be an issue as they're very light.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote