Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-24-2007, 04:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Drop ceiling in basement bathroom

I am currently finishing my basement and I will be doing a drop ceiling in most of the basement. Has anyone heard of any problems using a drop ceiling in a bathroom?? It will be a full bathroom with a tub/shower unit and a properly sized exhaust fan vented outside of course.

handyflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 05:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

How tall will the finished ceiling be?

redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 10:03 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Biggest problem of course is moisture. Make sure the fan is slightly bigger than you need and is wired to the light switch so it comes on everytime you go in there.
As Redline asked "how high will the finished ceiling be?
And when you say "Dropped ceiling do you meam Its going to be a ceiling than you are going to drop and then drywall or do you mean its going to be a dropped t- bar ceiling with panels.
I would never put a t-bar ceiling in a bathroom myself but if it is a dropped ceiling thats going to be drywall then no problem just make sure to do two coats of drywall sealer and two coats of oil based paint and follow my advise at the top of this post.
Darylh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 07:35 PM   #4

The finished height is going to be 7' 5". Aren't there some vinyl tracts out there that can be used in a bathroom??
handyflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 08:54 PM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

In the building industry, 'dropped ceiling' means = Acoustic ceiling....
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 08:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
In the building industry, 'dropped ceiling' means = Acoustic ceiling....
Please correct me if I am wrong but if Accoustic ceiling panels get moisture in them won't they warp.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:39 AM   #7
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darylh View Post
Please correct me if I am wrong but if Accoustic ceiling panels get moisture in them won't they warp.
We use armstrong ceiling products. This is what is stated on their website:

Can Armstrong ceilings be used in the bathroom?
Yes, if the bathroom is vented to the outside with a fan. Armstrong ceilings with HumiGuard™ Plus are extra sag resistant for use in areas of high humidity. BioBlock™ Treatment inhibits the spread of mold and mildew.

Will the ceiling sag over time?
No, if the ceiling is installed according to its warranty. Armstrong ceilings are treated with a special back coating to resist moisture. When properly installed under the right conditions (no excessive humidity, etc.), they remain level and flat. We recommend using HumiGuard™ Plus panels or fiberglass panels in areas of high or seasonal humidity; they are not recommended for spaces exposed to continuous moisture, such as shower rooms and swimming pool areas.

(FWIW - I would install Sheetrock in a bathroom ceiling that has a shower or tub in it ....)

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 02-26-2007 at 10:44 AM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 10:10 PM   #8

What I find most of the time in this business is that ceiling fans pull the heat out of the Bathroom so people tend to not use them all the time so that is why I said to put the fan on the light switch so its on every time especially in a drop ceiling bathroom. I still go with drywall myself.
Aren't there some vinyl tracts out there that can be used in a bathroom?? Yes, I just took some down but check with the supplier.
Thanks for the info Atlantic...
Old 03-02-2007, 03:40 PM   #9
Steve

There is a company called acoustic ceiling products that makes plastic suspension grids for dropped ceilings. They also manufacture a track that attaches right to the joists so that you don't lose any height. I used it in my own basement... worked GREAT!

http://acpideas.com

STEPHENWANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 09:45 PM   #10
Drywall contractor

You can buy tile that is sheetrock with a vinyl face that is ofter used in commercial applications where moisture is a factor or periodic cleaning is required (kitchens). I believe I have seen it at Home Depot. If they don't carry it, any drywall/acoustical supply will have it. Personally I would frame the ceiling down and use sheetrock if possible.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:02 PM   #11

A grid ceiling in the bathroom is less than desirable, although it will work. I'd opt for a framed and sheetrocked ceiling for sure...Much more professional. The grid ceiling won't do anything for the home's value, and will detract from the overall appearance of your bathroom project.

With a proper installation of the appropriate grid ceiling products, it should perform just fine.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 03:00 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 10
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyflyer View Post
I am currently finishing my basement and I will be doing a drop ceiling in most of the basement. Has anyone heard of any problems using a drop ceiling in a bathroom?? It will be a full bathroom with a tub/shower unit and a properly sized exhaust fan vented outside of course.
Hello! I have a drop ceiling in my old victorian house in the bathroom and the kitchen. You have to find ceiling tiles specifically for these areas. I have found them on line. The ceiling tiles are moisture resistent. My old ones have a fiberglass backing and have never had mold on them. Just say - yes we can!
Girlbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 03:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyflyer View Post
I have an old victorian house with a drop ceiling in the bathroom and kitchen.

You have to find ceiling tiles just for this area. I have only found them online. My old ones have a fiberglass back and have never had mold on them. Just say - yes you can!

Here's the website below for bathroom ceiling tiles.

http://www.ceilume.com/ceilingtile_d...n=CeilingTiles
Old 05-16-2009, 03:05 PM   #14

I have an old victorian house with a drop ceiling in the bathroom and kitchen.

You have to find ceiling tiles just for this area. I have only found them online. My old ones have a fiberglass back and have never had mold on them. Just say - yes you can!

Here's the website below for bathroom ceiling tiles.

http://www.ceilume.com/ceilingtile_detail.cfm/title.Polyline_Ceiling_Tiles-size.24inches_x_24inches-color.White-productID.434?utm_source=oldsite&utm_medium=produc tlink&utm_campaign=CeilingTiles
Old 05-16-2009, 04:35 PM   #15
Drywall contractor

You still run the risk of the grid itself rusting from prolonged exposure to the humidity if you don't have proper exhaust venting (bathroom especially.) I think that was everyone's concern with the original post.....