Drill 2.5" Hole Through 10" Concrete Hole - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling


CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2011, 10:42 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MA
Posts: 72
Rewards Points: 77
Default

drill 2.5" hole through 10" concrete hole


I want to drill a 2.5" hole through a 10" internal concrete wall for my 2" washer drain.

I did some research. I think I need this core drill bit: SDS Carbide Masonry/Concrete Core Drill Bit 2.5" x 6".

Can I use this Bosch 11255VSR BULLDOG Xtreme 1-Inch SDS-plus D-Handle Rotary Hammer with this SDS-Plus Shank for Carbide Tipped Masonry Core Bits plus above Core Drill Bit to do the job?

I would like to buy a tool not rent one because i would like to own a tool for future use. I am in the process to finish my basement. I can see i will use this tool to drill holes to anchor frames to concrete in many places.

thanks,

Advertisement

diy001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:12 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 11,188
Rewards Points: 5,336
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by diy001 View Post
I want to drill a 2.5" hole through a 10" internal concrete wall for my 2" washer drain.

I did some research. I think I need this core drill bit: SDS Carbide Masonry/Concrete Core Drill Bit 2.5" x 6".

Can I use this Bosch 11255VSR BULLDOG Xtreme 1-Inch SDS-plus D-Handle Rotary Hammer with this SDS-Plus Shank for Carbide Tipped Masonry Core Bits plus above Core Drill Bit to do the job?

I would like to buy a tool not rent one because i would like to own a tool for future use. I am in the process to finish my basement. I can see i will use this tool to drill holes to anchor frames to concrete in many places.

thanks,
Where does this pipe go when you drill the hole? Cesspool? Sewer connection?
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:02 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MA
Posts: 72
Rewards Points: 77
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Where does this pipe go when you drill the hole? Cesspool? Sewer connection?
Ron
it will connect to a 3" Sewer pipe.
diy001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:19 AM   #4
Civil Engineer
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 5,217
Rewards Points: 4,014
Default


I drilled a 2-1/2" diameter hole through my 10" concrete wall for a sump pump connection. I rented an electric Bosch rotary hammer (I do not remember the model number) with a 2-1/2 diamond coring bit. The process was relatively slow, but quite effective. The stand was critical, the tool I used had enourmous torque, enough to take your arm out of the socket if you tried to hold it by hand. The bit also had a habit of catching if it was not held exactly perpendicular to the wall, then the drill would start to rotate the stand. I had to be very careful about that, it happened several times.

I know there are several manufacturers of rotary hammers, I can't comment on which ones are better. I can say that I filled the space surrounding the pipe with expanding foam, and sealed the face with about a 1/2 inch of hydraulic cement. This has worked well for many years now.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 09:02 PM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 8
Rewards Points: 16
Default


Your links don't seem to work. But, I too would recommend the 2-1/2 diamond coring bit, and they can drill straight thru from one side. BUT, they do have some torque, and if they hang, they will twist your wrist and/or arm. That said, can you get to the other side of the wall? if you use the standard auger hammer drill bit and drill from one side only, you will 'blow out' a rather large chunk on the opposing side. try running a 1/4" pilot bit all the way thru so you can find and drill 1/2 from both sides.
I know nothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 12:47 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Utah
Posts: 488
Rewards Points: 978
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
I drilled a 2-1/2" diameter hole through my 10" concrete wall for a sump pump connection. I rented an electric Bosch rotary hammer (I do not remember the model number) with a 2-1/2 diamond coring bit. The process was relatively slow, but quite effective. The stand was critical, the tool I used had enourmous torque, enough to take your arm out of the socket if you tried to hold it by hand. The bit also had a habit of catching if it was not held exactly perpendicular to the wall, then the drill would start to rotate the stand. I had to be very careful about that, it happened several times.

I know there are several manufacturers of rotary hammers, I can't comment on which ones are better. I can say that I filled the space surrounding the pipe with expanding foam, and sealed the face with about a 1/2 inch of hydraulic cement. This has worked well for many years now.
Bosh and hilti are the leaders in rotary hammers.

This is for sure a rental situation 2 1/2 bit will prob never get used again if you buy it.

You can rent a core drill at most big equipment rental businesses. like hurtz or united. if you want to buy one they run around $2,500. If you insist on drilling this size of core without a rig you might as well calculate a broken arm into the cost.
Mingledtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mingledtrash For This Useful Post:
I know nothing (01-17-2016), Wildbill7145 (01-17-2016)
Old 01-17-2016, 12:56 PM   #7
Member
 
Wildbill7145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 230
Rewards Points: 94
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingledtrash View Post
Bosh and hilti are the leaders in rotary hammers.

This is for sure a rental situation 2 1/2 bit will prob never get used again if you buy it.

You can rent a core drill at most big equipment rental businesses. like hurtz or united. if you want to buy one they run around $2,500. If you insist on drilling this size of core without a rig you might as well calculate a broken arm into the cost.
Bingo. A friend of mine and I did concrete coring in highrises for a few years with the Milwaukee version of this tool. I'd have to imagine doing what your planning with anything else will take you absolutely forever and yes you'll want new arms afterwards.

You will still need a hammer drill to punch the 4 holes for the hilti shots to bolt this thing down. You'll also need a water source to keep the bit cool. I'd also add, don't forget the brass washer that goes between the drill and the bit when you're attaching it. Otherwise once used, you'll never get that bit off the machine. Don't ask how I know that. I was just the stupid helper.
Wildbill7145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 05:50 PM   #8
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 8
Rewards Points: 16
Default

Core


Yes, the Boss has steam coming out his nose and ears when he finds out that others, , had not put the washer between the shaft and the bit. Nearly impossible to remove the bit. And, know one ever mentions that until the drill is sent to the next job.

Advertisement

I know nothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need to drill hole through rim joist for venting creamaster Building & Construction 7 04-02-2012 10:35 AM
High Rise Building methods - US versus Oz - Steel versus Concrete Jado Off Topic 17 09-15-2011 08:47 PM
Basement Renovation Question KUIPORNG Remodeling 234 08-26-2008 08:19 AM
How do you measure poured concrete PSI? head_dunce Building & Construction 18 02-25-2007 08:58 PM
How do I drill the hole in the wall if I don't know location of electrical wire popkadurak Remodeling 10 06-16-2006 10:06 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

 

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1