Double Hung Wooden Windows With Metal Runners - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-01-2009, 09:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Double Hung wooden windows with metal runners

I live in a John Weiland home built in Atlanta in 1989. He used wooden windows with either a 9 over 9 or 6 over 6 with aluminum runners on the sides.

Now, over time, the windows make these shuttering sounds when I lift them open. We have about a gazillion windows in this house and the cost of replacing them all with double panes isn't an option.

I found a website where I can order replacement tracks, where you pop off the trim edges, and remove the old aluminum tracks. Then you insert and attach new tracks, with new insulation strips.

Has anyone done this? Is it a comfortable DIY project once you figure it out?

Advertisement

Hisgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:23 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

i havent used them in yrs i belive i used them on dbl hung units when we removed the old weights and insulated the weight pockets
you want to make sure the sill angle is cut corectly and you fit the track in tightly good luck

Advertisement

Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 07:32 AM   #3

Since you seem to understand how the old tracks come out, I would guess you could DIY. Start in a room that does not matter, after the first one, the rest are easy.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:53 PM   #4
Windowpartsguy

Rewards Points: 10

I have not performed the job you are thinking of doing. But i did own a house that had them, and i'm familiar with the God-awful sound they can make. I ended up doing a total window replacement because i needed to upgrade to double pane at that time.

I'm curious to know if replacing the jamb liners/runners will actually get rid of the noise. I have always assumed that the sound was the balance shaking around (possibly against the inside of the runner). I might be way off here, but i really ought to know the answer to this for future customers. If the existing ones are in good shape what is so special about the new ones? Maybe they are vinyl?
Now that i think about it, is it just the friction of the sash against the runner?
Macattac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:17 PM   #5

If the window sashes are okay, I would lubricate the metal runners with a silicone spray first, before I replaced all the parts.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote