Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-03-2013, 08:41 PM   #1

Share |

Door & Window Trim / Casing Overhaul - Craftsman Style

Thanks to everyone who's helped me with my flooring questions in a previous post. Now it's time for me to move on to the door and window trim.

My walls are 8' except for the living room which has a high vaulted ceiling (18' wedge shape). I'm going with 5 1/4" baseboards like what I put in the half-bath I finished. It looks great.

I've posted some pictures below of the current trim. Whoever installed it didn't miter the corners enough to fully close any gaps and the paint job looks horrible. I'm pretty sure the trim was previously stained with a coat of poly like all of the trim upstairs. Additionally, no caulk was used on any of the trim and some of the door and window jams do not appear to be even with the drywall, forcing the trim to not sit completely flat. All of the trim is 2 1/4", except for the back door which, for whatever reason, is 3 1/4" and poorly notched around the fireplace mantel.

Anyway, I want to go with a nice, white Craftsman style (or is it Arts & Crafts) door and window trim. I'm just having some trouble determining the proper dimensions because most of my doors and windows are located in odd places, often close to a corner or up against the fireplace mantel. I would like to go with 3 1/4" trim every to maintain consistency.

I know the trim for the doors and windows have to be the same or else the top edges will not be even and it might look odd. Should I just suck it up and stick with 2 1/4" or should I go with 3 1/4" and just trim where necessary for the stiles and headers to fit?
Attached Thumbnails
Door & Window Trim / Casing Overhaul - Craftsman Style-frontdoor.jpg   Door & Window Trim / Casing Overhaul - Craftsman Style-backdoor.jpg   Door & Window Trim / Casing Overhaul - Craftsman Style-garagedoor.jpg   Door & Window Trim / Casing Overhaul - Craftsman Style-bathroomdoor.jpg  

lohryx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:42 PM   #2

The rest
Attached Thumbnails
Door & Window Trim / Casing Overhaul - Craftsman Style-passthrough.jpg   Door & Window Trim / Casing Overhaul - Craftsman Style-livingroomwindow.jpg   Door & Window Trim / Casing Overhaul - Craftsman Style-denwindow.jpg   Door & Window Trim / Casing Overhaul - Craftsman Style-kitchenwindow.jpg  

Old 07-03-2013, 08:50 PM   #3

Okay, here are some pics of what where aiming to do.

And here is a video that shows a pretty simple way of making this Craftsman style window trim (it's in 3 parts), and he also has a 3-part video for doors as well.

By the way, I don't have to have plinth blocks at the bottom of the door trim, do I? I don't really like the way they look and prefer the straight, flat stiles.

Attached Thumbnails
Door & Window Trim / Casing Overhaul - Craftsman Style-craftsman-style-interiors-window-seat.jpg   Door & Window Trim / Casing Overhaul - Craftsman Style-kids-room-decorating-ideas-craftsman-window-casing.jpg   Door & Window Trim / Casing Overhaul - Craftsman Style-43248.jpg   Door & Window Trim / Casing Overhaul - Craftsman Style-43249.jpg   Door & Window Trim / Casing Overhaul - Craftsman Style-43250.jpg  

Door & Window Trim / Casing Overhaul - Craftsman Style-doortrima.jpg  
Old 07-04-2013, 04:30 AM   #4

#1, That drywall should have been all finished, primed and painted before the trim went up.
#2, I would have used my oscillating saw to cut the crown on the fireplace and slipped the casing in behind it instead of trying to scribe the trim around it if I was going with the wider trim.
While I like the craftsman style I'm not so sure the way your house was built it's going to be a great fit.
Going to look silly having a one sided crown and one narrow side in some of those places.
Something that might work and dress it up some is to use 1 X 4 ripped to what ever width will work and use back band molding on the outside edges.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...deas&FORM=IGRE

Last edited by joecaption; 07-04-2013 at 04:34 AM.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
#1, That drywall should have been all finished, primed and painted before the trim went up.
Thanks, Joe. My fault for not being clearing, but the pics in the 3rd post aren't mine. That last set is just a little of the inspiration pics I've found online, and I just used them because they were clear and were another example of the style I'm looking to do. And I agree, I have no idea why they didn't finish the drywall first.

#2, I would have used my oscillating saw to cut the crown on the fireplace and slipped the casing in behind it instead of trying to scribe the trim around it if I was going with the wider trim.
I also agree with you here. In fact, the crazy mantel overhangs 4" on the right side (where the door trim is scribed around the mantel) and only overhangs by 1" on the left (window side). I plan on taking the mantel off completely and cutting the right side back in order to even it up on both sides.

While I like the craftsman style I'm not so sure the way your house was built it's going to be a great fit.
How do you mean? Is that just because of some of the tight fits to corners?

Going to look silly having a one sided crown and one narrow side in some of those places.

Something that might work and dress it up some is to use 1 X 4 ripped to what ever width will work and use back band molding on the outside edges.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...deas&FORM=IGRE
If I go this route, will I have to match all door trim off of whichever door ends up with the narrowest stile due to proximity to a corner? I couple of these doors look like they can only work with 2 1/4" or 2 1/2" at the most. And one still being wider than the one in the corner probably won't look right, will it?

I guess I'm wondering if I'm screwed and will have to stick with 2 1/4" around all doors and windows. It just feels like it looks rather puny.
Is the picture below what you had in mind about using a 1x4 ripped and wrapped with back banding?
Attached Thumbnails
Door & Window Trim / Casing Overhaul - Craftsman Style-backband1.jpg  
Old 07-04-2013, 08:10 AM   #6

Sort of, looks like there showing some pretty plain back band. I think the one with the roman ogee looks better.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:39 AM   #7

Thanks Joe. I had to look up what the roman ogee looks like and found the pic below. It's also in the book I have, Taunton's Trim Complete (2007, p. 214).

The pic they show has the back band with the roman ogee, but the casing also has either a roman ogee on the inside edge or a bead. I'm really trying to go with a clean, flat look if possible...something a bit more modern. Do I have to do the roman ogee or bead on the casing the carry the design for the overall look, or can I keep them completely flat without any sort of profiling?

Again, I appreciate all your help, Joe.
Attached Thumbnails
Door & Window Trim / Casing Overhaul - Craftsman Style-romanogeebackband.jpg  
Old 07-11-2013, 07:52 AM   #8

Question

Does anybody have any advice or input? I'm still having trouble deciding what width I should go with for the door and window casings. I can't put the baseboards in until I at least figure out what I should do for the doors since the width of the casing will affect the baseboards. I'm still thinking the window casing width is going to dictate what I have to do for the doors.

Appreciate any and all input. Thanks!