Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-30-2007, 10:24 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

door not stright

My exterior door has a gap on the bottom and is tight on top. This is when the door is closed, and it is seen on the hinge side. What is an easy fix for this! Because my lock doesn't catch as mush as it should. Thanks!

pappabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 01:38 PM   #2

door not stright

Sounds like a settling issue. Check in the basement for damage to the sill plate or floor joists in that area. Doors are notorious areas for termite invasions and water infiltration. Also check the hinges. If you have a decent amount of space on the strike side of the door at the top, you can put a shim on the top hinge to drop it down a bit. The middle hinge will also need a minor adjustment. You might also remove the years of built up paint on the door and you might get the clearance you need to close the door.
If there are no signs of damage and you can't deal with the above solutions, shave the top of the door and put some weatherstripping on the bottom
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 09:42 PM   #3

door not stright

Could be a bunch of things. Two that come to my mind are either the door was installed wrong or the hinges are cheap and have bent slightly under the weight of the door. Do you live in an area where the door would remain open during the day?

This happens all the time with solid core interior doors. Just the other day my dad had me fix his office door which had a problem like yours. Its a rather easy fix.

Since im not sure if it against the TOS I wont post a link. I will PM it to you ok.
Joining_Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 08:30 PM   #4

door not stright

I've got a similar problem, except my gap is at the top (door knob side). It's not tight anywhere really, just not square in the frame and leaks like an open window. There is about a 1/4" difference between the sides on the top. The frame is level, the door is just slightly off.

I was wondering if there was a shim that goes behind the hinge on the frame? If I put it behind the bottom hinge to push it out a bit.
aace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 08:42 PM   #5
Remodeling Contractor

door not stright

You could use compressed cardboard or layers of anything that won't split when you replace the screws.
oldfrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 10:52 PM   #6
Long-Time DIYer

door not stright

I mainly use old utility knife blades as shims behind door hinges, but you can use anything from pieces of popsickle stick to cereal box strips, etc.
Anything to shim it out that fits behind a hinge and can't be seen.
Then use new weatherstripping and a new sweep on the bottom to seal around exterior doors.
Good luck!
Mike.

Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote