Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-23-2008, 09:42 AM   #1
Enormous Member

Rewards Points: 75

Door dilema...

I'm trying to replace my entry doors on my house with steel or fiberglass. So, I measured height and width and wandered off to my nearest big box home improvement retail outlet. I picked up a couple prehung steel doors with the threshold and brick moulding attached and took them home.

Thankfully, I had the forethought to measure the depth of my existing doors before cutting them out and found that they're about an inch deeper than the prehung door frames.

After some swearing, I took the prehungs back and looked around for deeper prehung doors and I couldn't find any.

I can't imagine my situation is unusual. My house was built in '57 and the door frame is about 5 1/2" deep from the back of the brick moulding to the inside of the frame. The prehungs sold out there look to be 4 1/2".

What is the normal way to replace doors in a situation like this?

skipjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:33 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Door dilema...

Personally, I'd build the door jambs myself. But, that's a lot of work.

I'd suggest taking the doors back to the box store and get your money back. Then call an actual millwork company that specializes in doors, windows, and trim. Pretty much all major cities have millwork supply companies...They're nothing too special. But, they'll have either the item you need in stock or the capability to make a custom jamb for you.

Most millwork houses are wholesale outfits, but will retail on a limited basis for things like this. You might have to open an account and pay with cash.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:30 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Door dilema...

Most if not all door manufacturers have door frames in different widths. All you need to do , most of the time, is to order what you need in advance of pulling out the old door. It's one of those DIY life lessons.
If these are paintable jambs, Stanley makes jamb extensions you may be able to use for your situation. They also make aluminum sill extensions to bridge the larger gap at the botton(if necessary).
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:35 PM   #4
Enormous Member

Door dilema...

Thanks, KC & Ron...

I was just talking with the secretary here at work and she lives in an old house and had her door special ordered from Home Depot because of the depth... but it was pricey. Now, I realize.. it's HD she's dealing with.. so I could probably find something more reasonable somewhere else.

I'll look into the jamb extensions, Ron. That sounds like just what I'm looking for. Thanks again.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:37 PM   #5
Enormous Member

Door dilema...

Found this little tidbit on jamb extensions: CLICK ME

However, if I install extensions on the inside of the jamb as shown... it'll restrict the swing of the door to 90. Not that that's a huge deal.. I've got not much more than 90 of space anyway. But.. knowing my son, he'll throw the door open and mosh up the trim or the door... or my beloved extensions.

Hmmm... I have to do a little more research. Perhaps I can repair the existing jamb and just hang a new door on the existing frame. I haven't inspected it too closely because I'd been planning on just dropping a prehung in there. Or, and maybe someone can offer an opinion on this idea, I could buy a prehung, remove the pre-attached brick moulding, add extensions to the outside of the jamb and replace the moulding on top of the extensions.

Thoughts, opinions, complaints?

Last edited by skipjack; 09-24-2008 at 01:42 PM.