Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-26-2009, 08:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Do it yourself granite countertops

Hi Iam thinking of buying precut to my sizes granite countertops. I would do the installation myself . With watching youtube and doing some reading on it , I think i could doit.But I have two options on grainte one is 2cm with edge and the other is thinner 1/2" with edges for 1 1/4 thinkness. I will be doing a surface mount sink,not under. So if i went with the thinner one you would not know. I will have to do two seams with epoxy that they will give me to match color of the countertop. I will also be cutting out for the sink but no polishing of edges
So what do you think about this

dalemercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 05:48 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

if you have the tools you can do it. Need something to hold the seams together until the epoxy sets. Maybe you can rent a vacuum clamp needed. The sink can be cut out with a 4" grinder (inside cuts) and a 5" saw both with diamond blades. I would not go with the thinner granite.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 03:48 PM   #3

The thicker granite will cost me $800 more . Will the thinner one crack after it is down or is moving it before it is dowm the problem. Clamp the seam I am still not to sure about how to to that. I was thinking of two suckion cups that are one handle like the ones to help with moveing glass.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:09 PM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

mostly be careful with handling. And what is done for the edges with thin materials? Those clamps will work, but two are not enough. Use at least four. You want a tight seam evenly held in place.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:19 PM   #5

Every kitchen I have ever been in people sit on the counter tops
I wouldn't want thin granite for that reason
2 cm = a little over 3/4"

The granite I just installed is 1 1/4" thick

Last edited by Scuba_Dave; 02-27-2009 at 06:50 PM. Reason: sp
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 05:28 PM   #6
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

I have been seeing this a lot lately, the 1/2" thick stone. I was surprised thinking it would crack, but further investigating they lay it on top of 3/4" plywood. But still I prefer the thicker stone as long as the floor will support it. a center Island top that is. BOB.
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:57 PM   #7

The installation instructions I have from the company that sell the 1/2" granite , is to use 3/4 MDF for decking. It sayed that MDF is the preferred material in that it lays flat and to use L brackets to give extra support in the dishwasher area.Now about leveling the stone by using countertop laminate shims or small pieces of foam. Then epoxy glue dots 18 inches apart. Does any of that sound right.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:14 AM   #8
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

I Don't want to say the manufacture is correct or wrong. But MDF would be better then ply wood, as its much more smoother and flatter then plywood. the only problem I have with it ,is it does not hold up to water. and with a surface mount sink you have to be careful to make sure its sealed, caulk correctly.
Are they telling you to shim the MDF, or to shim the stone to the MDF?
I would shim the MDF and check it with some good straight edges, then epoxy the stone down to the MDF as they suggested. and make sure you off set the seam in the MDF from the seem in the stone. BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 06:54 AM   #9
Remodeling Contractor

MDF stays flat if you buy quality MDF.. the stuff at home centers is poor quality. Order from a plywood vendor. Or even use MDO.. I has the strength of plywood, will stay flat like MDF and is water resistant and the same surface as MDF.... Best thing to use for this purpose.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:34 AM   #10

I will look into where I can buy MDO. Now about clamping the seam while the glue is drying.What is the best glue for holding down the stone. My instructions say Laticrete 310 epoxy , liquid nails , slear silisone or PL construction glue.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:38 AM   #11
Remodeling Contractor

The epoxy is the strongest but all will work. Epoxy has the lower working time but you do not need much time. Dry set everything and be sure your seams are ready to go. Set the epoxy in the seams after taping the top edges of each seam. Have the clamps ready to go. Then glue the top of the MDO and set the stone.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:53 PM   #12

Before deciding on granite, check out this article in the New York Times about the poisonous radon gas that can be emitted from granite countertops. January was designated National Radon Month by the EPA, which has stated that you need to "fix the home if the radon level is 4 picoCuries per liter (pCi/L) or higher". You can test your countertop for radon (and your entire home, namely the basement, where exposure to granitic rock in the topsoil can make the radon level high) using home kits, but these kits are not failsafe. So I would recommend getting a home inspector in there to test your countertop and basement. Radon is clear and odorless and is a carcinogenic substance. I have a granite countertop and I'm now looking to replace it with a sustainable wood. Good luck.
loki791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 03:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki791 View Post
Before deciding on granite, check out this article in the New York Times about the poisonous radon gas that can be emitted from granite countertops. January was designated National Radon Month by the EPA, which has stated that you need to "fix the home if the radon level is 4 picoCuries per liter (pCi/L) or higher". You can test your countertop for radon (and your entire home, namely the basement, where exposure to granitic rock in the topsoil can make the radon level high) using home kits, but these kits are not failsafe. So I would recommend getting a home inspector in there to test your countertop and basement. Radon is clear and odorless and is a carcinogenic substance. I have a granite countertop and I'm now looking to replace it with a sustainable wood. Good luck.
Have you tested it?
Have you tested your house?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 03:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
Have you tested it?
Have you tested your house?
No I haven't - I am doing research on it now. Either will buy a radon home testing kit or get a profession home inspector. The take home kits are the cheaper way to go, but I've read that they can be flaky.
loki791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 03:41 PM   #15
Remodeling Contractor

reliable reports also state that the amount of radon possible to be released from a slab of granite in your home cannot hurt you.