DIY Replacement Of Neo Angle Shower Enclosure Feasible? - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-12-2008, 08:41 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

DIY replacement of neo angle shower enclosure feasible?

We have a neo angle shower in one bathroom. The walls are ceramic tile installed over green board and are in perfect condition, and the shower base is in good condition. The enclosure itself, however, is pretty horrible - mildew, soap scum, scratches, etc.

Local kitchen and bath remodelers we consulted have told us that they only do the whole job, i.e. tear out the tiles and base, replace the green board, and install all new tile, base, and enclosure. Otherwise they won't guarantee their work. And if the base is removed, the tile floor will need to be retiled too.

It seems a shame to spend that much money, deal with that much mess, and dump perfectly good tile and other materials in a land fill when the enclosure is the problem. How feasible is it for reasonably handy homeowners to replace a shower enclosure? Anyone done this successfully? Any tips? Are the enclosures sold at Home Depot and Lowes reasonable quality, or should we special order from a bath supply store? And are we on the right track here, or should we seriously consider tearing everything out to the studs and replacing it?

Thanks!

Advertisement

hfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:44 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Enclosure? Do you mean the glass enclosure?
(some people refer to the actual shower side walls as the "enclosure" = multi-section shower panels)

Also, Pictures would help.

Based on what you are writing, it "seems" as if the work "could be" done without all the extras cited. Again, pictures would help.

Is it a DIY project?

Can't say without seeing some pics.

Advertisement

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 02-12-2008 at 08:47 AM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:05 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Yes, this is just the metal and glass bits. There are two fixed panels that are attached to the walls and the base, and a center swinging door. The walls are ceramic tile and are in good shape. The base is a typical plastic base of some sort but is in good shape.

It seems to me that we "should" be able to do this as a DIY project (I actually LIKE to DIY when I can) but am looking for experience and advice on how doable this is, and what the problem areas we might encounter are.
hfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 08:59 PM   #4
Handyguy

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

Take your measurements to the home center. I think they sell just the "metal and glass" bits you are referring to.

If that doesn't pan out look in your yellow pages under glass. There are glass companies that will fabricate any shape/style you could imagine. I had this done once and it wasn't too expensive for a custom door.

I'm a 99% DIY guy but building my own shower door was not in the cards for me. If I could have bought something that fit my particular situation off the shelf I certainly wouldn't have hesitated installing it myself.
Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 10:38 PM   #5
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

I would suggest going to a local glass company over the big boxes. It will cost a few $ more, but they will fabricate exactly what is needed, and the quality of the materials will be better. The extrusions will be heavier gauge with a better quality finish , and the glass will not be absolute mininum thickness.
Take the opportunity to clean and put a couple coats of sealer on the grout lines. Keeping the grout sealed is crucial if you have green board behind the tile. It is not intended to be used as a backer in a wet area like a shower enclosure.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote