Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-21-2007, 09:22 PM   #1
They're all fixer-uppers

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Discovering Shoddy work

I am doing a little remodeling in my basement - moving a wall, redoing others. I removed the drywall from the soffit that is there to discover that, first off, the back half of the soffit consists of 1x1s (not true) hanging from the ceiling joists - one nail in each - supporting drywall at the bottom which is nailed in with a small common nail. Secondly, and mind-bending as it is, the sides and bottom of the soffit in the front consisted of 1/2" drywall, nailed into 2x3s with 4d FINISH nails!!! I can't believe the bottom never fell down... I think the wallpaper held it up - no joke. What the hell is wrong with people?

J187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 09:33 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 64

Discovering Shoddy work

It is called "Do-It-itis". In other words, someone that did not know what they where doing, and trying to make something better. If you are suprised by your find, you should look around at how most homes are that are older, that homeowners try to update.

gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 09:35 PM   #3

Discovering Shoddy work

No kidding, I just can't beleive it sometimes especialy my latest find or should I say watched but could not say anything. I saw a window (installer/framer) make a opening of 9'-4" wide by 4'-6" high to replace a smaller window and the wall had vinyle siding so okay no big deal right and it was not a load bearing wall but "NOW GET THIS" he used a double 2x4 header and if that wasn't bad enough one of the 2x4s had a joint and he made the header even with the inside framing. I just could not beleive my eyes. Sure hate to see what happends if they get a very heavy wind storm.
Darylh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 09:39 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 64

Discovering Shoddy work

A bigger window.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 09:41 PM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Discovering Shoddy work

Quote:
Originally Posted by J187 View Post
I am doing a little remodeling in my basement - moving a wall, redoing others. I removed the drywall from the soffit that is there to discover that, first off, the back half of the soffit consists of 1x1s (not true) hanging from the ceiling joists - one nail in each - supporting drywall at the bottom which is nailed in with a small common nail. Secondly, and mind-bending as it is, the sides and bottom of the soffit in the front consisted of 1/2" drywall, nailed into 2x3s with 4d FINISH nails!!! I can't believe the bottom never fell down... I think the wallpaper held it up - no joke. What the hell is wrong with people?
Welcome to the world of 'remodeling' pre-owned and pre-owner altered/homes..... .....

I've got 22+ years of stories I could share.....
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 12:06 AM   #6
They're all fixer-uppers

Discovering Shoddy work

Latest find - I am tearing the wood paneling out now. I open up one wall and imediately I'm hit w/ sickening, overbearing smell. I'm thinking at first, dead animal, but then I realize, it smells more like rotting seafood - then I discovered what it was. Some areas of the wall had been furred out w/ small folded up pieces of white cardboard - a bit of inspection reveals that it is actually the torn up container for fried clams. Nice huh? Having lunch on the job and you need something to shim the paneling - hey, just use what you got. Who cares if it reeks like old clams, stuff it in the wall. Nasty!!
J187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 06:23 AM   #7
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Discovering Shoddy work

Quote:
Originally Posted by J187 View Post
Latest find - I am tearing the wood paneling out now. I open up one wall and imediately I'm hit w/ sickening, overbearing smell. I'm thinking at first, dead animal, but then I realize, it smells more like rotting seafood - then I discovered what it was. Some areas of the wall had been furred out w/ small folded up pieces of white cardboard - a bit of inspection reveals that it is actually the torn up container for fried clams. Nice huh? Having lunch on the job and you need something to shim the paneling - hey, just use what you got. Who cares if it reeks like old clams, stuff it in the wall. Nasty!!

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote