Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-22-2013, 02:17 PM   #1

Share |

Deeper vanity in bath

I am looking to add 2" to the depth of a new vanity and was just going to screw 2- 2x4s across the back of the 8' long vanity and also 2 pcs along the side to move vanity away from the wall. I got quoted a price of almost $300.00, but that includes the material. Is there something I am missing here? I was just going to screw the 2x4 into some studs and it doesn't even have to be perfectly level! Great chat room btw!
Jkatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:26 PM   #2

Deeper vanity in bath

Perhaps the person giving the quote didn't understand your intentions. Is it coming from a cabinet maker or ??
Old 10-22-2013, 02:44 PM   #3

Deeper vanity in bath

He is a contractor who does vanities, sinks, faucets and complete bath remodels, so it was a bit surprising at the extreme costs!
Old 10-22-2013, 03:06 PM   #4

Deeper vanity in bath

You might want to check back with him just to verify that you are on the same page. About a year ago I thought about doing the same thing with a 54 inch custom vanity. The cost to make the vanity bigger was around $250-300.

Maybe he's adding the cost of additional counter top or plumbing? If your shut off valves are stubbed out close to the existing wall, they will need to be extended. Possibly the same for your drain.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:13 PM   #5

Deeper vanity in bath

I am using a standard Kraftmaid vanity. They were charging me $230 to change the valves for 2 sinks. Now there is an additional $115 to extend the shutoff valves. The extra material for counter is $59, so I can't see what is left to make the cost so high.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:03 PM   #6

Deeper vanity in bath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkatfish View Post
The extra material for counter is $59, so I can't see what is left to make the cost so high.
I would ask the contractor. It could be additional labor to get/cut/install the 2x4s. It takes time especially if they are cutting outside and your bath is on the 2nd floor.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:17 PM   #7

Deeper vanity in bath

How do you intend to hide the ugly edges of the 2x4s on the sides of the vanity?? Maybe the contractor's quote covers (pardon the pun) that as well.
md2lgyk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:23 PM   #8

Deeper vanity in bath

There are trim pieces available, or I may tile it since the wall next to it is tiled. And no, he did not include that either. So I guess he just thot I was just an easy prey??
Old 10-23-2013, 08:05 AM   #9

Deeper vanity in bath

OK, I get it now. Can't speak to how the guy arrived at his price, though it does seem quite high to me. But then, I've never gotten quotes for such a job; I've always done them myself. Have you tried getting other quotes for comparison?

This is just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth: Kraftmaid cabinets are low-quality; I wouldn't even put in my garage. They may look nice at first, but won't in a couple of years, especially in a bathroom.
md2lgyk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:54 AM   #10

Deeper vanity in bath

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
OK, I get it now. Can't speak to how the guy arrived at his price, though it does seem quite high to me. But then, I've never gotten quotes for such a job; I've always done them myself. Have you tried getting other quotes for comparison?

This is just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth: Kraftmaid cabinets are low-quality; I wouldn't even put in my garage. They may look nice at first, but won't in a couple of years, especially in a bathroom.
Yeah, i was going to do it myself, but just wanted a price since he was there. I ordered the Kraftmaid, they actually good some decent reviews, but for my kitchen I am going with another brand, custom built. I met him after i ordered the KM, and the quality seemed way better.