Decking Choice - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-22-2012, 01:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 268

decking choice

I know this is a bit of a subjective question, but here goes. I want to replace my 5/4" treated decking with new decking. I have heard bad things about Trex, but does anyone have anything good to say about another brand? I realize personal preference and location enter into the answer. I'm in the midwest, 40 miles NW of Chicago. Any other info I can through out there, just ask. Thanks Rich

Advertisement

packer_rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:55 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,196

decking choice

I used ipe, and aside from my concerns about cutting down tropical rainforests, the wood itself is beautiful, and worked quite well. Also, I used 1 inch nominal (3/4 inch finished) wood, which is OK because ipe is much stronger than other types of wood that could be used.

Advertisement

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:36 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

decking choice

Here in New England, I've installed a few decks and having worked with the Azek decking there is no question that this product is one of the best options out there. It resists any molding to penetrate, they come in a variety of colors and their scratch resistant. [I have reservations about that claim though]

It is however pricey....BUT...with hidden fasteners, your deck will the envy of the neighborhood. Lol.... I may as well be their sales rep.

But it's good stuff. Looks great:

www.crossworksme.com
"Where Every Nail Has a Purpose!"
CrossWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:23 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

decking choice

I used Ipe on the deck I built 5 years ago and couldn't be happier with it. It's a little tough on saw blades, but it's great stuff. Most of the Ipe sites I looked at swore that Ipe is sustainably harvested, which I'm pretty skeptical about. I just closed my eyes and pushed the "I believe" button.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:43 PM   #5
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,196

decking choice

I totally agree Joe, they all claim to be sustainable, but with a tropical hardwood, that type of claim cannot be verified. I used a carbide blade to cut all the ipe, and I had little trouble. Drilling was another matter, all screwholes have to be predrilled, I used up several tapered drill bits on the project.

I looked into composite "wood" like Azek and Trex, did not like the appearance, but to each their own.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:18 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

decking choice

We use Fiberon Horizon on a regular basis with 0 complaints. It has a great look, just look at my website, a good portion of the decks are built with Fiberon.
robertcdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:52 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 150

decking choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
I totally agree Joe, they all claim to be sustainable, but with a tropical hardwood, that type of claim cannot be verified. I used a carbide blade to cut all the ipe, and I had little trouble. Drilling was another matter, all screwholes have to be predrilled, I used up several tapered drill bits on the project.

I looked into composite "wood" like Azek and Trex, did not like the appearance, but to each their own.

How's the pricing on that Daniel compared to composite. Becaue I'll honest, I've never used or seen the product until robert shared his website. This product looks like something I would certainly want to install. Especially with cable railings.

Advertisement

www.crossworksme.com
"Where Every Nail Has a Purpose!"
CrossWorks is offline   Reply With Quote