Dealing With Header On Uninstallation Of Patio Doors - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-28-2010, 06:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Dealing with header on uninstallation of patio doors

We were planning to have a wall of sliding glass doors removed and the opening closed up. Now we are thinking of doing this ourselves (running out of money on our home improvement projects!!!) We are having the outside of the house re-stuccoed shortly so the exterior finish would be taken care of (the stucco guy would do the chicken wire/scratch coat/what not he just needs plywood there.)

My question is, this is a three-wide sliding glass door - 12 feet wide by 80 inches high. So I expect there is an enormous header in there. The door ends 15.5" below the ceiling, so I'm thinking it is probably 2x12s bordered by 2x4s. Does that sound right?

Now, we are a little reluctant to fill in this wall because we'd like to still have some light coming in. I'd like to do high block windows. But the 80" max height before we hit the header means the windows would not be very high. I want to eventually do built-in wall units along this wall and want the light to be coming closer to the ceiling than 20" away...

If we re-support the opening with studs in the appropriate places, would it then be possible/legal/advisable to cut between-stud pieces of the header out in order to put in high-up block windows? Or cut the header out, piece by piece, putting studs into their correct places, and then put the block windows wherever we want? I would be perfectly happy with the row of block windows broken up by studs. It is the height that matters.

Thanks for your advice on my first post to the forum!

Kate

Advertisement

katep788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:26 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

You can redo the opening to your window configuration as long as you comply with the proper framing rules. Each window should have jack and king studs bordering the window with a header above.
Your plan seems overly complicated. I would support the wall that's being modified. Reframe the wall with the proper support and install the windows. You need to nail the sheathing to the new framing and use the correct fasteners to frame the wall.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Are you related to my husband?? He loved the idea, too, until he realized I was talking about touching the existing header. He nearly had a heart attack over that, so that's out. So we are going to leave the header where it is and just build in the wall below it, since then we have a non-load bearing wall and pretty much free reign.

Can anyone direct me to a site where it explains in detail how to install windows in new construction destined for stucco finish?? This is where I'm getting confused about doing this ourselves.

Kate
katep788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 05:37 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,052

http://www.marvin.com/?page=Installation_Instructions

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...U1uPfZrVbBEcZg

http://www.jeld-wen.com/resources/installation.cfm

Be safe, Gary