Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-03-2009, 08:49 PM   #1

Share |

cutting plaster wall

I have what I think is plaster walls. Where the trim is removed it looks like concrete. In one spot where I can see the back of the wall I don't see slats, but what looks like some kind of drywall.

Is this plaster on drywall? If so how hard is it to cut a square hole in it? I figure drywall would okay, but not sure on the plaster. I'd like to extend a single receptacle box to a double so I can fit in a phone jack/cable plug. Currently, the cables come up through the floor. I'd like to do the same thing in the other bedroom, it's got an old style four prong jack.

oscarMadison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:43 PM   #2
timthetoolman

cutting plaster wall

Yes plaster with a drywall backing is quite common. Usually 2 ft by 8 foot pieces of drywall were used for this installation method. It is fairy easy to cut through with a sawsall and although some slight chipping of plaster may occur, it will be minimal as opposed to cutting other installation methods of plaster such as steel mesh-AHHH Terrible to cut and wood lath.

timthetoolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 02:07 AM   #3

cutting plaster wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by timthetoolman View Post
Yes plaster with a drywall backing is quite common. Usually 2 ft by 8 foot pieces of drywall were used for this installation method. It is fairy easy to cut through with a sawsall and although some slight chipping of plaster may occur, it will be minimal as opposed to cutting other installation methods of plaster such as steel mesh-AHHH Terrible to cut and wood lath.

To expand on timthetoolman's response. Use either Lennox or Milwaukie blades, 18 tooth bi-metallic. Wood blades will tear the plaster out.
fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:40 AM   #4
Household Handyman

cutting plaster wall

I actually have a hand saw, much like a drywall saw, for doing just this, enlarging electrical boxes. It has a "grit" type blade instead of teeth, made for cutting plaster with metal mesh backing actually, should work on your plaster/drywall combo. I got mine at Lowe's, I think it is their Kobalt brand, it has a blue handle anyway. I'm sure others have these also. Thanks, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:18 PM   #5

cutting plaster wall

Thanks guys. Now to figure out which receptacle. As far as phones, the hallway has a little built in section for a phone. May have see if I can pickup an old style phone to put in there.
oscarMadison is offline   Reply With Quote