Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-16-2009, 02:26 PM   #1

Share |

Curtainwall glazing vs. "standard" house windows?

I am remodeling an old 1950's era house, and would like to open up an entire wall to the back yard, with a large glazed window wall. I am wondering what the implications of using "storefront" fixed window systems might be. Has anybody done this and know if the cost is reasonable, compared to big fixed plate windows from Andersen, etc? Looking for clean-lined modernist look at a decent price. Wall will be approx 12' x12'. Thanks.

tpagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:52 PM   #2

curtain walls can be load bearing (needs an engineer), your average storefront systems are not bearing, same for plate windows. your best bet is to contact a manufacturer (we spec kawneer all the time) and talk to your local distributor. they will be very able to give you some guidance and product advice. i believe those systems are also installed by a factory approved installer and quite a bit of the parts come cut from the factory based on field measurements - i don't know if i would try to install one myself.

http://www.kawneer.com/kawneer/en/home.asp

cellophane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:57 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I definitely would contract to have this work, just for ease of mind should something go wrong. These windows would be "infill", as the structure of the house framing would be modified to carry all loads. I am looking to give them a rough opening, and they can take it from there! I will talk to Kawneer. I hope the storefront system is reasonable. They don't look like there is much rocket science involved, aside from the flashing and weatherproofing.
tpagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 03:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpagel View Post
Thanks for the reply. I definitely would contract to have this work, just for ease of mind should something go wrong. These windows would be "infill", as the structure of the house framing would be modified to carry all loads. I am looking to give them a rough opening, and they can take it from there! I will talk to Kawneer. I hope the storefront system is reasonable. They don't look like there is much rocket science involved, aside from the flashing and weatherproofing.
they are pretty simple to detail, i've never installed one though

when you find a local distributor they will be able to get you information on more brands than just Kawneer - its just the one we use a lot off the top of my head. another brand may be a better product for your purposes. i also have absolutely no idea what they actually cost to install - just be prepared for sticker shock
cellophane is offline   Reply With Quote