Curb Appeal - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-02-2012, 05:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

curb appeal

Any ideas for giving this house curb appeal on the cheap. I want first pressure wash,then paint the roof black, the house gray and the front door an eye-popping blue. Would like new windows and a new front porch but that starts getting pricey.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8174808...a4844fa540782a

Advertisement

LFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:02 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,732

curb appeal

paint the house and roof. leave the door but move the numbers to the side of the house.

then do some landscaping.

Advertisement

Fix'n it is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:35 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

curb appeal

Ditch the numbers on the front door...

Ditch the antenna...

I'd get rid of all the plants along the foundation of the house that are higher than the porch surface. Keep it to small shrubs, preferably ones that flower or have nice looking foliage.

Is that vinyl siding? If yes, I'd put shutters back on and scrub it (with a brush and house wash, not just pressure wash)...

Ditch the chicken wire fence...

Round up the yard... till it... level it... roll it... then either hydroseed or spend several hundred on scotts ez-seed and keep it watered until you've got some grass going.

I'd considering painting the porch, maybe do white rails/steps with dark decking/stair treads... I'd add risers to the stairs to close them.

For the walkway, if it's busted up concrete I'd consider getting rid of it. Maybe lay down some pebbles with flag stone or something? anything that looks tidy, right now it's weeds growing up...

Window treatments....I'm getting living room on the right and bedrooms on the left? Consider vertical blinds on the right, and maybe some top-down-bottom-up shades for the bedrooms.

A larger light fixture for the door would look nice.

Can you PAINT a shingle roof? I've never heard of that...
Old 07-03-2012, 10:04 AM   #4

curb appeal

I love these super suggestions! I have asked my husband to please take out the antenna tomorrow. I forgot to mention that we have dogs. One is a hound dog that runs away so the fence cannot come down. Also, we live in the woods & have a lot of shade so it is a batlle to grow grass. Add two dogs and the battle is pretty much lost. We have even thought about replacing the porch with something that looks more like a deck in order to cover the yard.
I will enter into negotiation with my husband about his plants. That will be interesting.
Painting/fixing the porch is a terrific idea. I will start looking at colors.
There is a lot of stuff about painting an asphalt shingle roof on Google.
You have given me a lot to think about and get busy with for the house! Thanks!!
Old 07-03-2012, 08:43 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

curb appeal

build that porch out a bit more on both sides and cover it with a shingle roof catch HGTVs Cub Appeal/The Block for awesome ideas as they invade neighborhoods.highlight the trim on the windows and shutters http://www.hgtv.com/curb-appeal-the-...how/index.html

Last edited by biggles; 07-03-2012 at 11:07 PM.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:06 AM   #6

curb appeal

Thanks for sending the HGTV episodes. I am looking especially at the yards with the shade plants and mulch as opposed to grass. That looks like a solution for our yard. The local garden center will develop landscaping plans for $75 and my husband agreed to do this! There is hope yet!!
I will check into the regulations again for Prince William County, Virginia but the last time we checked we couldn't build a covered porch because we are too close to the road. I don't know what one has to do with the other but maybe the rules have changed or we can fight it.
Thanks everyone!!
Old 07-10-2012, 11:18 AM   #7
DIY-er

Rewards Points: 75

curb appeal

Two key things I would do:

1) New front porch with an exaggerated gable roof and new railing.

2) Either change the colour of the shutters or the siding - how about red shutters to match the front door, and olive or chestnut brown trim?

You could check out the photos I have of homes with an exaggerated front porch on my website at: http://www.home-additions-startup-gu...rb-appeal.html
KevinPh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:35 PM   #8

curb appeal

I'd definitely build the porch out. The house is small, so it will look much better when the porch is extended. A new coat of paint and removal of the old antenna would be a plus. Landscaping is a must. You can use the existing door you have and install a glass panel in it. I haven't gotten around to doing it on my current home, but I did have them installed in my last place and loved them. It's much more affordable than buying a new door.
I'd also build a few planters around the porch, with some bright colored flowers inside. Maybe a wrought iron hanging on the wall? You could probably find something like that at a flea market

Good luck!

Advertisement

ThomasLPDNO is offline   Reply With Quote