Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-11-2010, 03:55 PM   #1

Share |

Cultured Stone Grout

I am at the stage where I need to start grouting the joints between the exterior cultured stone. The grout joints are 1/2 " give or take. I will be using a grout bag with the mortar thinned down. This is my first time using a grout bag and have heard there is a product you can add to the mixed mortar to make the mortar more slippery so it passes through the tip of the grout bag easier. Anybody aware of such a product? Any helpful hints for grouting cultured stone? Thanks

Jack E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:02 PM   #2
Concrete & Masonry

Cultured Stone Grout

What you're looking for is called a "plastasizer" and "may" be available at a local mason/concrete supply yard. One trade name that comes to mind is "Slick Willy", but I'm not sure if it's still available or not.

As for the rest, don't thin the mortar down too much, as it will be more likely to shrink & crack, as well as stain the stones from excess droppings. Mix the mortar very well (mechanical mixing is superior here), only fill the bag about 1/2 full, makes sure to settle the mortar to get all the air out, and squeeze away until your wrists cramp up...............

jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:52 PM   #3

Cultured Stone Grout

Quote:
squeeze away until your wrists cramp up...............
And they will... if you have a lot to do (100 sq ft or so), plan on doing it in stages over several days.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:34 AM   #4

Cultured Stone Grout

Thanks for the tips. I have a little over 200 sq ft. to grout so I will be doing it in stages (if my wrist holds out.) I'll look for that additive. I am going to be tinting the mortar to darken it up so I'll be playing with that. My plan is to progressively tint a small amount of mortar until I get the color I want and then apply that ratio to a larger amount of mortar. Unfortunately I don't have a mechanical mixer so it's the old bust-your-back method.
Jack E is offline   Reply With Quote