DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Creating doorways/supporting wall issues

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  NWVintage 
#1 ·
I would like to create 2 openings in a wall that separates living room from kitchen. One story house, 740 sqft, 1940's vintage. All timber construction. The wall runs perpendicular to floor joists and roof trusses. There are two beams supported by footings that run parallel to the wall but neither are under the wall. The roof appears to be supported by pre-fabbed trusses: lower cords are single 2x4's stretching the full span, single set of 2x4 braces originating approx center of upper cord span with lower ends meeting in center of house (approx 15" from wall in question) and a vertical tie-in from the center of the lower cord to the peak of the roof (this is some sort of tongue and groove board, seemingly the same material used as the original sub-floor 3/4" x 6") The current measurements of the wall, originating at an exterior gable wall are (close approx): 60" wall, 30" doorway, 139" wall. I would like the new measurements to be (close approx): 84" opening (breakfast bar), 36" wall, 72" doorway, 35" wall. Wall does not continue to other end of house nor is there any sort support which so in line with the wall.

Ideally, I'd like a plan for the whole project but just finding out whether this wall is load bearing would be a start.

If you need anymore info, let me know.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.