Creating A Bedroom - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-28-2005, 11:46 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Creating a bedroom

I have a finished basement, but I want to make a bedroom out of half of it. The only place to make a room is on the side of the basement that has a bathroom and furnance room. My first question is do I need to keep the bedroom ventilated off of the furnance/bathroom.

Second question is the basement is carpeted, do I build the wall over the carpet, cut the carpet? I only need to build one wall and a door way. I will be using 2x4's and drywall.

Thanks for your help

Advertisement

insuranceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 12:21 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Creating a bedroom

In my area bedroom and mech room must be seperated. no air exchange,(except thru ductwork), and no doors from bedroom to mech room. The bedroom should have an egress window and egress window well, ( big enough for a fireman with equiptment), and not too high off the floor. Be sure furnace has combustion air when your done and a work area in front of the furnace. I'm not sure exactly what your question was but maybe that helped?? HS

Advertisement

K2eoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 12:23 PM   #3

Creating a bedroom

Cut the carpet. If in the future the carpet gets wet or pet stained someone will be cussing if the carpet is under the wall. It might be you cussing.HS
Old 11-28-2005, 01:01 PM   #4

Creating a bedroom

Well the room already has a utility room built and the only place to put the bedroom is on that side. The utility room has a door for the washer, dryer, toilet. Do I shut that room completely off from the bedroom, and if I do can I cut a whole in the wall for ventalation?
Old 11-28-2005, 01:50 PM   #5

Creating a bedroom

Not in my area but hopefully we'll get some other opinions here soon. If you were getting any carbon monoxide down drafting into the mech room and it was open to a bedroom that would not be good. There are probably a few more reasons not to be opened into a bedroom. I would be looking for a way to get outside combustion air to the furnace or you could put openings into the door that leads to the furnace and cover them with some grills. HS.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:49 PM   #6

Creating a bedroom

The door into the room already has the vents in it. Do you suggest putting a regular door into the mechanical room and then possibly putting some vents or vent to the outside of the room say into the stairwell, because the stairwell is on the other side of the mechanical room.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:29 PM   #7

Creating a bedroom

As long as you have combustion air being drawn from a large area inside you should be ok. Probably need to check the grill size in your doors to be sure of the proper sq.inches. I would not open a mech room to a stairway because if there was a fire in the mech room I would want the stairway protected as much as possible.HS.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:40 AM   #8
aka:awesomedell

Rewards Points: 150
Send a message via MSN to housedocs

Creating a bedroom

I would not replace the utility room door, the vents are in the door for a reason, a HVAC guy could explain, simply put, the vented door allows for air exchange for the furnace. You should check with local bldg dept before you start to make sure your remodeling complies with local codes.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:56 PM   #9
2nd half

Rewards Points: 25

Creating a bedroom

You could close the vents in door, or change doors and take outside air for furnace. I'd build wall over carpet, unless you have to change carpet anyways. You can always cut it later on if it gets damaged.
Joe

Advertisement

jmic is offline   Reply With Quote