Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2009, 02:28 PM   #1

Share |

Crazy old wallboard?

I bought my house in July and have steadily been finishing the previous owners projects ever since. My home was built in 1940 and has has an addition some time since expanding the 2nd floor. I have an awesome amount of space up there but they used some weird old wallboard that now is in fugly shape. I'd love to clean it up and turn upstairs into a master suite. The current paint is peeling off, as well as whatever tape they used on the joints of this stuff. I'm attaching a couple pictures here. If anyone knows what this stuff is and how to clean it up, please say the word. If push comes to shove, I'll rip it all out and put in new drywall, but I'd like to get suggestions on an easier solution. THanks-
-R
Attached Thumbnails
Crazy old wallboard?-wallboard-1.jpg   Crazy old wallboard?-wallboard-2.jpg  

Rene1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:39 PM   #2

Crazy old wallboard?

I am remodeling a home built in 40's or 50's too,,,if this is original to that time period, they did have some real crappy drywall that you cant ever get ahead of. The more you fix it the more fixing it needs. I vote for a tear out and start over,insulate and vapor barrier as it SHOULD be. I am a great believer in doing it right the first time and smiling ever time you look at it frm that day forward,,,you win. If you dont its a frown ever look,and IT wins!!

PS,,was told recently,dont know if its right,,,but 'some' asbestoes is known to be in some of that OLD stuff,,,here the landfill where it goes hasnt said anything,,,someday they will,,,better gone now than triple headaches later.

4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:00 AM   #3
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Crazy old wallboard?

The pictures sort of remind me of an old early form of drywall called Maftex. Some places called it beaverboard. You probably won't ever get a good finish with it unless you invest a lot of time and trouble. I'd tear it out and drywall it. Then you can rewire and properly insulate while it's apart.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote