Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-19-2009, 12:09 PM   #1
Remodeling Contractor

Share |

Cracked slab

A few questions. Slab in a garage is cracked down the middle. Sunroom above garage. Only a slab on grade no foundation. Crack is caused by the outer wall sinking about 1 3/4" do to gutters no being cleaned and drain pipes no longer working. Block walls are now rolling out and in (not level). How much of a problem is this? Will a retro-fit work by adding a grade beam? Does all the concrete need to be removed and replaced? And lastly is it best to remove and reset the out of level block wall?
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 02:15 PM   #2

Cracked slab

A 2 story needs an 8" thick concrete wall, on a frost depth footing. Which you know.

I'd get it engineered to have a plan of attack. Possibly dig under from either side (easier one) to pin and pour in sections, a real foundation footing and wall to support the slab. Access to the outside, see if your local B.D. will accept this: http://www.oikos.com/esb/43/foundations.html Or start over due to the block wall rebuilding.
Be safe, G
Gary in WA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 05:31 AM   #3
Remodeling Contractor

Cracked slab

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBAR in WA View Post
A 2 story needs an 8" thick concrete wall, on a frost depth footing. Which you know.

I'd get it engineered to have a plan of attack. Possibly dig under from either side (easier one) to pin and pour in sections, a real foundation footing and wall to support the slab. Access to the outside, see if your local B.D. will accept this: http://www.oikos.com/esb/43/foundations.html Or start over due to the block wall rebuilding.
Be safe, G
My issue is how to support/raise the wall which is block. I plan to use a grade beam so I only have to dig to 42" at both ends and the middle. The beam will be 12 X 12 so it exceeds the 8" requirement.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:02 AM   #4

Cracked slab

i'd be rebuilding the wall, bob,,, the grade beam could likely be placed leaving the slab in place.
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote