Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-07-2009, 09:26 AM   #1

Share |

Covering Radiant Heat ceilings.

We are looking at buying a house; however, the ceilings are really an eye sore and we would like to cover or remove the heavily textured ceilings.

However, there is radiant heat in the ceilings. From what I am able to gather, radiant ceiling heat was real popular here in the 1970s. There were 3 methods of installation.

#1 Ceiling and walls are hung and finished.Electricians install ceiling cables.After cables are installed, 2 coats of a plaster product called RADEX is applied over the cables, then a texture is applied.

#2 Hang a layer of drywall on ceilings only.Tape flat joints.Electricians install cable.Hangers roll joint compound over cables and hang a 2nd layer of drywall on ceiling, then hang walls.

#3 Hang a drywall product on the ceiling called Panelectric, which is a 5/8" drywall panel with the cables installed within the core of the board.
The Panelectric co. does not recommend the use of mesh tape for their product.

So, how do I tell what type of ceiling there is (the real estate agent is unable to tell us) and how could I cover up or remove the ceiling without damaging the radiant ceiling heat. I would hate to cover the ceiling with dryway and screw into a wire and I am not sure if it can be scraped away like a popcorn ceiling. Since the hous was built in the 70's we would test for asbestos before doing anything but what would be the best way to get a nice flat ceiling?

Hockeynews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:55 AM   #2
Mold!! Let's kill it!

If it's not a real course texture, you could skim coat it with drywall compound to smooth it out.

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:12 PM   #3
BIGRED

I have a question. Do you NEED the radiant in the ceiling ? Depending on your locale and where the room is located (1st or 2nd floor and is it on a North, East, South, or West exterior wall) you might be able to just turn the heat off for that room and remove all that ceiling and do a new smooth drywall job. If this doesn't sound appetizing I think Maintenance6 has a good idea.

I just reread your query= Is the whole house radiant CEILING heat ?

Last edited by Grampa Bud; 04-09-2009 at 12:14 PM.
Grampa Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:23 AM   #4

Hi Grampa Bud,
Yes the whole house is radiant heat ceillings. Kind of unusual I know but energy efficient. I live in Montreal, Canada and need the heat. I thought about plastering the ceiling as well and have asked a contractor for an estimate and the feasability. I would not want to do it myself since it is a very large area (1600 sq. ft) over multi levels (2 floors). The basement is the only level without the textured ceiling.
Thanks for the help,
Hockeynews is offline   Reply With Quote