Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-19-2010, 09:45 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

coverin plastic tile wall with panelin or thin plywood. how to cover the seams?

my kitchen has ugly yellow floor to ceiling plastic tiles from the 50's. they are stuck on with some adhesive that was troweled on thick. so taking them down would pretty much require demo down to the studs. for a temporary fix i was thinking to put up paneling (without grooves) or very thin plywood then painting it. my question is how do i fill in the seams between the boards? do i need to use something special to allow for contracting and expanding?

there is also one small wall that sticks out into the kitchen so there will be a corner that i need to smooth somehow. i dont really want to ad a piece of corner trim. can i i just use the thing they use for drywall corners and some joint compound for that? or could i just fill it in and sand it smooth?

also one of the panels will have to be right up next to the cabinet. is it ok to not leave any gap? what about corners...will i need to leave a gap? i really dont want to use any trim other than on the floor and maybe up top. i would prefer to use joint compound, wood filler or something like that to fill all visible seams.

oh and i plan on putting it up with adhesive. what kind would be best?

edit: just noticed im missing a few letter "g's" in my thread title...oops!

Last edited by chinolofus; 11-19-2010 at 09:50 AM.
chinolofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:03 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

This scenario would come under, "horrendous homeowner repair solutions".
It would never work and in 6 months you'd be covering this up with something else.
Remove the tiles. In my experience, they come off pretty easily. If not, it will require more effort. The rough textured wall, as long as it's fairly flat, will take the next layer. Scrape off the high points if you have them. Go over the wall with 1/4" sheetrock. Tape and compound. If you use adhesive, check to see it's compatible with the plastic adhesive residue.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 06:52 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

i didnt realize there was 1/4" sheetrock. i thought it was all thicker. thanks...thats just what i was looking for.
chinolofus is offline   Reply With Quote