Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-06-2010, 08:39 PM   #1

Share |

Couple of re-siding question

Hi, I've stripped the damaged and weathered aluminum siding off my 1920's bungalow and am getting ready to install vinyl siding. So far, I've installed housewrap around the entire house and replaced most of my windows. I'm getting ready for soffits/fascia and the vinyl trim pieces shortly. Couple of questions so far:

1. I'm keeping an existing large wood window with brickmold around it. How do I terminate the Tyvek to the sides and under the sill? I've already put in a new drip cap on the top and taped off the Tyvek to it.

2. Most of the house has the original 1x T&G boards as sheathing. My siding instructions (Certainteed Mainstreet) say I need a minimum of 3/4" of nail into wood. Do I still need to layout on studs, or am I okay nailing thru the 1x's.

3. Existing meter - I have underground service, but the meter socket attaches to the siding. Am I stuck calling an electrician so I can get the socket temporarily pulled or is there another trick? I've seen people J channel around them and leave the old siding underneath but that looks a little tacky.

Thanks for the help.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:02 PM   #2

You do need an electrician to pull the meter/assembly
I had mine mounted to a piece of plywood so I could side up to the meter base

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:33 PM   #3

use the studs to nail too. old 1 byes are awful brittle and crack easy.

here the power company will help mount,,,remount meter.

dont know on tyvek question cause I used all new windows.I would change it NOW whether or not it needed it.

check out that tutorial blog here about flashing/counter flashing windows,,forgot authors name but only way to go and better than any info from siding or window companies
4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:00 PM   #4

Stubborn,
Definitely have the meter base removed and reattached later. I used to cut a rectangle block out of a 2 x 12 just a little bigger all the way around than the base, then cover it with aluminum coil stock nicely. They J-channel around it. When they reattach the base it is nice and secure and is far enough out where the pipe coming out doesn't press against the siding. You might want to install a smaller block up above where the clamp would go to secure the mast if you have one.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:30 PM   #5

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll call the power company and see if they will pull the meter quick otherwise I'll get an electrician out to do the work. I have some treated 3/4 plywood scrap I can use to mount behind the meter.

Looks like I should have marked the studs before I put on the housewrap - it would have saved me some time.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:39 PM   #6

the 1x is ok as a nail base for vinyl,but since you went this far find and mark the studs and nail the siding into them when possible

i personally would take wood treated or otherwise out of the meter pack out and use a mounting block specifically made for meter pans

not too much you can do with the tyvek to wood except tape it as close as you can to the trim

Last edited by Tom Struble; 06-09-2010 at 08:43 PM.
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote