Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-19-2013, 09:07 PM   #1

Share |
Smile

Couple questions on reno for kitchen and bathroom

Kitchen coutertops

right now I have arborite countertops, I was thinking of removing the old arborite (I heard you can with help of an iron), then releveling and placing new arborite ontop. Good idea or too cheap??? I cant find any info on doing this anywhere...any ideas?

I am redoing the bathroom and its on inside walls, I am redrywalling with moisture res drywall, but wondering if its a good idea to insulate (batt) and poly? I say this on Leave it to Bryan and he said he does it to reduce sound? wondering if this is a good idea? I am installing a acrylic 3 piece tub unit...do I need to drywall behind the tub?

Thanks
hellothere123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:19 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellothere123 View Post
right now I have arborite countertops, I was thinking of removing the old arborite (I heard you can with help of an iron), then releveling and placing new arborite ontop. Good idea or too cheap???
Too cheap.

Arborite is a brand name for plastic laminate (like Formica or Wisonart).
The plywood underlay is not expensive enough to justify reusing it

If you can get the top out in one piece...
put the whole thing in the basement or garage as a work bench.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:02 AM   #3
www.inspectorzo.com

Send a message via Skype™ to InspectorZo
Talking

Good advice from TarheelTerp. I'm just adding info to your other questions.
Insulation is so cheap, it's a good idea to stick it anywhere for sound, draft, and insulation. As to the drywall backing, yes! The Acrylic tub walls are about 1/8" thick. If you don't provide backing, the water will tap on the thin walls as if they are hollow and worse, if you ever lose your balance, your going right through that thin nothing.
Splurge for the drywall and the insulation... There is smart cheap, this isn't!
Good Luck!

InspectorZo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellothere123 View Post
Kitchen coutertops

right now I have arborite countertops, I was thinking of removing the old arborite (I heard you can with help of an iron), then releveling and placing new arborite ontop. Good idea or too cheap??? I cant find any info on doing this anywhere...any ideas?

I am redoing the bathroom and its on inside walls, I am redrywalling with moisture res drywall, but wondering if its a good idea to insulate (batt) and poly? I say this on Leave it to Bryan and he said he does it to reduce sound? wondering if this is a good idea? I am installing a acrylic 3 piece tub unit...do I need to drywall behind the tub?

Thanks
InspectorZo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:43 AM   #4
Bill Kearney

If it's just a soaker tub and will NEVER be used as a shower you could get away with using drywall intended for areas with moisture. But 'never say never'. Because the damage that will result should the drywall get wet will undoubtedly cost CONSIDERABLY more to repair that it would have ever cost to have done it right in the first place.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:10 AM   #5

Depends on which enclosure you buy.
The better ones are nailed directly to the studs with no sheetrock behind them. The sheetrock covers the outside edges.
A nail on is at least thee times thicker then a glue on.
A glue on will need drywall behind it.
mae-ling (04-20-2013)
Old 04-20-2013, 10:52 AM   #6

And where the sheetrock covers the outside edges you may want/need to shim the walls to keep the drywall flat so it doesn't kick out at the lip it goes over.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:22 AM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

If your laminate had a drymount sort of melted adhesive you might get it off by heating it up again. Usually it is affixed with contact adhesive and it is unlikely you will get it off. Sometimes the edging comes with heat adhesive.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:24 AM   #8

Sometimes heat does work, other times use acetone, very strong smell so make sure you open windows etc.
If it has square edges you may be able to redo it, but better to just replace plywood and all.
If it has rounded front or attached backsplash then you need a whole new one.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:42 AM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mae-ling View Post
Sometimes heat does work, other times use acetone, very strong smell so make sure you open windows etc.
If it has square edges you may be able to redo it, but better to just replace plywood and all.
If it has rounded front or attached backsplash then you need a whole new one.
Acetone evaporates very quickly and more than smelling bad, it is definitely up there at the top of the list for brain cell killers. I would wear an aspirator with the appropriate cartridge and have all the windows wide open and an exhaust fan going. Turn the central HVAC off so the fumes do not get through the whole house.

And it is not exactly inexpensive. I am guessing $18-ish a gallon, retail? You can probably replace at least a few linear feet of countertop for what it will cost you, if the solvent even works, to buy enough acetone. The odds of getting a laminate off cleanly without dinging up the particle board or ply surface under it are marginal, IMO.

Use it for a workbench or laundry room surface as suggested and get the countertops you want.

Last edited by user1007; 04-20-2013 at 11:44 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (04-21-2013)