Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-28-2009, 02:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

countertop

We really dont' want to install a new countertop. We now have formica my question is this can you install a formica top (ie glue down) over the old one that now exists? Since they are thin to begin with we thought it might be a easy way to have it done..Not going to do it, but get it done professionally..any other suggestions? I have also been looking at the miracle method but found out they don't really last much longer than 5 years.
thank you

fremar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 02:43 PM   #2
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

countertop

I cant answer that, I have NEVER seen or heard of it being done. BOB.

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:00 PM   #3
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

countertop

Yes you can place formica over formica. Just rough up the surface so it is clean and the glue has places to grip. there is also new coatings that are rock hard and can be applied over the formica. I just did one last week to make the counter look like a new piece of granite. The old formica can also be removed easily. Apply heat with a heat gun and drip lacquer thinner under the formica as you pull it off.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 05:40 PM   #4

Thumbs up

countertop

That was a big help. Was looking for a easy way out without tearing up the entire kitchen..Can you tell me a little bit more about the new coating? Can you apply this over the existing old formica ( ie different color instead of the white) or are you talking about first installing new formica? We didn't know if it was possible to do this the easy way but now we know it can be done. I don't suppose you live in Ohio? LOL
If we hire someone to do this I will know what we are talking about it always helps to do some research first before diving into something we were just guessing about. Thanks again it was appreciated..
Old 01-30-2009, 05:46 AM   #5
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

countertop

For the painting option I use Stone-flecks from Hawk Industries. You need an HVLP sprayer or rent one. But if you do not know how to use a sprayer, it ma be easier to get a good job done with the new formica. for the finish -- http://www.hawklabs.com/images/Hawk_...lor_chart_.jpg And it will cover over the existing countertop. You do not need to remove the old formica to add new. Do you have a router? It is about all you need for that option. For new formica check out the new line from Wilsonart high definition series. http://www.wilsonart.com/hd/default.aspx
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 02:12 PM   #6

Thumbs up

countertop

Thank you for all the information..no we don't have a router. I do like the paint and did take a good look at both sites. That might be messy with a sprayer I was hoping it was brush but I know that wouldn't come out as good as a spray job. Will probably go with a new formia top I learned a lot from you. Thank God for the internet it is a blessing. I hope we can find a good installer like you seem to be.