Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-23-2009, 09:41 PM   #1

Share |

Could I put doors on this jetted tub?

** See Picture attached**

I'm assuming doors would mount to the edge of the deck mount in front of the tub, but I would need to put in some type of solid surface of 2.5-3' to extend along the edge of the tub from the wall. Do they make glass doors for this with a sturdy corner so I could mount the front doors? Would I be able to drill into that tile? If so, is there a place online to purchase such a thing? It's marble.

Sorry wish I had a better pic, this is a house im interested in buying and this is the only picture i have
Attached Images

Last edited by bluscreened; 08-23-2009 at 10:12 PM. Reason: adding more info
bluscreened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:20 PM   #2
Stuck in the 70's

Very much not an expert here but I'll put in my two cents since no one else has responded yet.

I assume the reason you want doors is to use this as a shower?

First, you want all the water to drain to the tub and....well... go down the drain, not pool anywhere else. If you mount any type of shower door on the edge of the deck you will have a low area between the doors and the tub which will collect water. Even if you install the doors against the tub there will still be a dip there.

At best you will have to dry this out after every use to keep mold from developing.

At worst water will leak between the tub and deck and cause water damage.

I'm not sure what you want to do is feasible, but someone else more experienced here may have a better idea. Perhaps installing it on the edge of the tub, but then you have the corners to deal with.

I'm also slightly confused by the pic. Is it currently used as a shower? The curtain makes me think so, but the little deck area with the bottles on it doesn't seem like a good idea for the above reasons (it looks lower than the tub edge) .

Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondesense View Post
Very much not an expert here but I'll put in my two cents since no one else has responded yet.

I assume the reason you want doors is to use this as a shower?

First, you want all the water to drain to the tub and....well... go down the drain, not pool anywhere else. If you mount any type of shower door on the edge of the deck you will have a low area between the doors and the tub which will collect water. Even if you install the doors against the tub there will still be a dip there.

At best you will have to dry this out after every use to keep mold from developing.

At worst water will leak between the tub and deck and cause water damage.

I'm not sure what you want to do is feasible, but someone else more experienced here may have a better idea. Perhaps installing it on the edge of the tub, but then you have the corners to deal with.

I'm also slightly confused by the pic. Is it currently used as a shower? The curtain makes me think so, but the little deck area with the bottles on it doesn't seem like a good idea for the above reasons (it looks lower than the tub edge) .

indeed the area where the bottles are is below the tub rim. Maybe this does cause the current owner a problem. i should have taken more pictures of the place.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP BTW!!!!
bluscreened is offline   Reply With Quote