Cost? - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-20-2008, 12:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Cost?

i am sure this as been a topic many times, but what is the average cost to finish a basement. its a small to medium sized space. plumbing for the bathroom is ruffed in, and we plan on some nice wood work. but the costs i am most interested in is for everything but the bathroom. i understand that can be very expensive. any ideas are appreciated. thanks for all the advice, hope to give back some day when i can.

Advertisement

sofrock7959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 05:07 PM   #2
Woodworker and Contractor

Rewards Points: 150

Cost?

$45

$35 for the paint
$5 for roller and pan
$5 for drop cloth
$0 your sweat

You gave no info at all on what you want, what you have, or where you are. How can you expect an answer. Is nice wood work paint mdf or brite worked mahogany? Small is under 200 sqft or over 1000 sqft

Good Luck

Advertisement

Kingfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 05:15 PM   #3
Electrician

Rewards Points: 1,000

Cost?

I finished my basement, it was pretty involved, I say I spent over $40 grand but that included furnishing it, I did all the work myself except installing the carpet, new stairs, taping the sheetrock and painting...

Basement ended up 1200 sq. ft.

Last edited by chris75; 02-20-2008 at 05:19 PM.
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:55 AM   #4

Cost?

ok, some one was a little upset there . The basement is around 800 square feet. i plan on doing the basic wood, not too pricy. Its a starter home so i plan on matching the oak up stairs.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:01 AM   #5

Cost?

need a lttle more still, please, What is basice wood to you? Wood paneling, baseboards, or something else. If you what someone to guess you need to lay out the vision a little clearer. Chris gave you an example and included the scope of work it covered. Do you have drywall up already, is in concrete block, brick, old stone. I'm sure if I stopped by you could show it all to me but here you have to paint me a picture
Old 02-21-2008, 11:25 AM   #6

Cost?

ok, i plan on using oak baseboard. The dry wall is not up yet, electrical is not done, its a half block wall on one side for about a total of 60 feet. i plan on putting in two bi fold solid oak doors, not sure the dimensions and one regular swinging door, oak solid. a suspended ceiling and bathroom will be installed as well. the bathroom can wait because i believe this will be the more expesnisve portion of the remodel. For carpet i plan on using a good quaility carpet. not sure the cost on that at all, so bear with me. the only thing that is really done is a couple of stud walls. i have not framed out by the blocks yet. the plumbing is also roughed in. i hope this gives you a good idea. sorry for not enough info earlier.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:22 PM   #7

Cost?

still need a sq ft # for the area, a size like 20' x 30' format would work great.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:56 PM   #8
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Cost?

Sorry, can't help you. These questions come up all the time on here.

Announcement: "Attention all members, new and old"....

"There is no blue-book-value to remodeling."

In order to properly ascertain the costs of finishing a basement at a given home, the actual property, the utilities (like heat and/or plumbing), the obstacles in the area, and more, have to be viewed and all things inspected. There are WAY, way, too many factors and variables. Actual dimensions, finish materials, unseen issues, regional needs, etc, have to totaled up, and greatly affect costs.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 02-23-2008 at 11:02 AM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 05:02 PM   #9

Cost?

This is somewhat like calling a body shop and asking how much to fix my wreck.
Cajun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:39 PM   #10

Cost?

First you make a list of all the materials that you require. Next calculate the quantity of each item and multiply it by the cost of each product. Last you will add up the price of all items. If you do not know the cost call a lumber yard or walk around HD.

Example: (20) 2x4s x $2.00 = $40.00

This formula is for materials only, not labor. I take it you will do it yourself.

Last edited by teachtech; 02-26-2008 at 09:47 PM.
teachtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:58 PM   #11

Cost?

When ever am trying to figure a project. I write down my shopping list of everything, go to the cheapest place and price each thing on my list, total it all up and DOUBLE IT.
andrewcocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:54 AM   #12
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachtech View Post
First you make a list of all the materials that you require. Next calculate the quantity of each item and multiply it by the cost of each product. Last you will add up the price of all items. If you do not know the cost call a lumber yard or walk around HD.

Example: (20) 2x4s x $2.00 = $40.00

This formula is for materials only, not labor. I take it you will do it yourself.
The problem with this, is that most newbis do not know how to properly calculate linear feet, square footage, amount to properly cover areas, waste percentages, etc. They also, very often forget (or don't realize) additional materials needed, required sub-layer materials, costlier-custom order items, etc.
It's not unheard of for such things to balloon a newbi-estimated budget -50% or greater (on the average newbi-DIY remodeling project).

Thus, they often miss judge the required budget, and take a big hit in the end, when onsite help could have walked them thru, and either pointed out all that was needed, or helped them to adjust and make cost-effective changes where useful/appropriate.

Advertisement

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 02-27-2008 at 07:58 AM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote