Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-20-2008, 02:19 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

corner drywall, tiling issue

I've had the unfortunate task of pulling down wallpaper in the master bath in my new house. As usual in such endeavors, one always finds surprises -- and create some of your own.

In this case, one that was under the paper: some water damaged drywall caused by a part of the shower that wasn't sealed properly. Now, I get to fix it and have zero idea how.

As you can see by the attached picture, the damaged piece in question abuts the shower and a corner. The problem is, there's tile on the right side that meets at said corner (the thin white line on the right is the tile with walled tiled in the background that site a foot back). I have zero idea on what to do with this and as you can see, I'm a rook and not very sure of myself doing this but am willing to learn.

Help!

DIYRook007

DIYRook007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 12:31 PM   #2
One-man DIY Army

Rewards Points: 25

My concern would immediately be:

"If this portion has water damage because it wasn't sealed properly, I wonder what the other sections of wall look like?"

Personally, I'd at very least demo the section that you've uncovered and repair it.

mdalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 02:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdalli View Post
My concern would immediately be:

"If this portion has water damage because it wasn't sealed properly, I wonder what the other sections of wall look like?"

Personally, I'd at very least demo the section that you've uncovered and repair it.
That's my concern as well...

But how easy/hard would it be with the tile on the wall right next to it? Use a precision cutting knife and cut around the damaged portion?
Old 04-21-2008, 12:26 PM   #4
One-man DIY Army

Rewards Points: 25

That's gonna be tough. Probably should demo the whole lower corner, just to be sure you get the water-damaged area. Worst case, you might have to replace a dozen or so tiles. Can you get matching replacement tiles?

I mean, if everything went wrong, you'd be talking about tearing out the entire surround, the water-soaked whatever underneath and retiling. Not fun, but not a catastrophe either.
mdalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 12:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdalli View Post
That's gonna be tough. Probably should demo the whole lower corner, just to be sure you get the water-damaged area. Worst case, you might have to replace a dozen or so tiles. Can you get matching replacement tiles?

I mean, if everything went wrong, you'd be talking about tearing out the entire surround, the water-soaked whatever underneath and retiling. Not fun, but not a catastrophe either.
No matching tiles that I'm aware of (have to look)...

It wouldn't bother me too much since it's right by the toilet and it's only nine tiles (three rows of three)...it's just the minimal amount of work the better....just leery of the complications...

On a related note, i do have some minor tears on some spots in the drywall...bought some of that Sherwin-Williams Preprite Drywall Conditioner was curious if I should put it all over or just where the tears are...