Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 12:28 PM   #1

Share |
Thumbs down

corian counter tops

We recently had black corian counter tops installed in our kitchen. We were not told about the easy scratching and showing up as light gray lines, which stand out. Home DePot had lied to us and told us they were out of granite (ubatuba) that we originally ordered and led us to believe Corian would work out better because it could be sanded and redone very easily. After many hours of talking to Home DePot nothing can be done. We argreed to pay the original amount if they would redo them.

I would like to warn all seniors about HomeDePot and how they take advantage of their customers. Once they have your money they do not care about any problems.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:31 PM   #2

corian counter tops

Quote:
Originally Posted by GailMae View Post
We recently had black corian counter tops installed in our kitchen. We were not told about the easy scratching and showing up as light gray lines, which stand out. Home DePot had lied to us and told us they were out of granite (ubatuba) that we originally ordered and led us to believe Corian would work out better because it could be sanded and redone very easily. After many hours of talking to Home DePot nothing can be done. We argreed to pay the original amount if they would redo them.

I would like to warn all seniors about HomeDePot and how they take advantage of their customers. Once they have your money they do not care about any problems.
Did you pay with a credit card, you can dispute it through the credit card company if home deput is not willing to help.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:08 AM   #3
General Contractor

corian counter tops

Most solid surface counter tops have drawbacks of some kind. I'm not personally a big fan of corian but I have had customers that love it. Most of the kitchens I do get granite tops but even those have disadvantages. If you want a solid surface top that you won't have problems with you should look into lava stone. It doesn't stain or scratch easily. It is about three times the cost. You may also want to talk to HD and ask them if they will switch it out for Stonemark (it's a water impregnated granite that is supposed to be more durable) if they still carry it.

They may be willing to do it just to keep a good public persona. It might not hurt to remind them a happy customer will tell an averagre of three people about their experience. An unhappy customer will tell an average of 17 people about their experience.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:32 AM   #4
RDS

corian counter tops

Sorry to hear about your problem. Previous owners put black Corian from HD in our kitchen before selling to us, and we've been happy with it -- still looks pristine after three years. Not what I would have chosen if it'd been up to me but we've been pleasantly surprised.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:47 AM   #5

corian counter tops

This site is not to be used as a soapbox for product bashing.

The best advice is to research the product that a retailer suggests before buying. Your problems could have been avoided if you'd have done a little internet research on the drawbacks and advantages of various countertop products.
Closed Thread

Tags
corian, counter tops, homedepot, kitchen remodel, seniors